Ibadan International Film Festival: Venture Government, Private Sector Must Embrace – LASU Don—-Glizt, Glamour as Ibadan International Film Festival Rekindles Ibadan as City of Art, Culture, and Entertainment
Globally, the impact of film making cannot be underrated. Apart from the fact that it can be used build positive societal values, its contribution to unite people in a common sense of humanity and shared responsibility gives it power to foster positive changes and developments in any given society, as it can reach a wide audience to inform and inspire change through engaging audiences and reflecting society.
Economically, film making industry in Nigeria has continued to break barriers, grossing millions in dollars as it is being watched globally.
According to PwC Global Entertainment and Media Outlook for 2020-2024, Nigeria’s media and entertainment industry is one of the fastest-growing creative industries in the world. It has the potential to become the country’s greatest export, with a projected annual growth rate of 8.6% and a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 19.3% from 2018-2023.
The report further pointed that the Nigeria’s film industry in 2021 contributed 2.3% and about 239 billion naira ($660 million) to GDP and projects that the industry will increase its export revenue earnings to over $1 billion.
For much of these efforts to be appreciated and further inform the society on the contributions the industry is making to the Nigerian economic and national landscape, major Nollywood stakeholders gathered in Ibadan last week under the platform of Ibadan International Film Festival.
As it was set out, the international festival was a three-day event that gathered major film making players and stakeholders from different institutions to entertain and educate people about films.
The Festival Convener, Usman “Blackky” Ogunlade said that the festival was born out of the idea of putting Ibadan back to its old status of been the cradle of entertainment in Africa which was driven by WNBS/WNTV which later became Nigerian Television Authority.
Ogunlade said the birth of NTA have birth to the beginning of filmmaking Africa.
In his word, “We set out not for a local film festival but an international film festival because of the status of Ibadan in the World Map. We created an avenue where we can bring the World to Ibadan and also take Ibadan to the world using filmmaking/entertainment.”
The event which started on Thursday with workshops on film making was facilitated by Ehizojie Ojesebholo, popular filmmaker known as Jimi Bendel; Godwin Lawani, and Charles Oleghe.
The second day of the event featured workshops on Directing for Film/TV which was facilitated by Niji Akanni; Producing for Film/TV by James Omokwe and Jemila Akinwale and Sound Design for Film/TV was facilitated by Segun “Ebonie” Osisanya.
This day also screened selected films which were wrapped with an ‘Art Hang Out’ that was supported by the prominent art Curator/Collector – Prince Tunde Odunlade of Tunde Odunlade Arts and Culture.
The last day of the festival featured film screenings and seminar that had the top key players in the business of filmmaking in Nigeria, Biodun Stephen, Olaleken Wasiudeen of LibraTV, Femi Ogunsanwo and Adeleye Fabusoro of the popular family series – Awon Aladun.
Ibadan International Film Festival
In his keynote address, Lagos State University’s Professor of Theatre, Film and Cultural Studies, Professor Tunji Azeez identified the role corporate sponsorship play in event like Ibadan International Film, saying that any nation, such as Nigeria that refuses to consciously and intentionally invest in art, culture and filmmaking does so at its own peril.
The former Acting Head of Department of Theatre Arts and Music of the institution lamented that successive Nigerian governments have not woken up to this reality in over hundred years of the industry existence.
Professor Azzez emphasized that the birth of Ibadan International Film Festival should be seen as a venture that we all, particularly the government must embrace, pointing that government must put structures and policies in place to guarantee that it is a permanent festival.
“Now, let me add that beyond coming to deliver a keynote address at this maiden festival, I am a bonafide son of Oyo state with a passion for the state and the arts and culture sector generally. For this reason, I must emphasize that if we get this right, Ibadan and Oyo state will have cause to attract investors that will impact positively on our people and our culture.”, he said.
Ibadan International Film Festival
The festival received over 10000 entries from over 117 Countries across the world for different categories of awards which went through rigorous screening by the college of screeners and panel of jury which comprises renowned filmmakers and scholars within and outside Nigeria.
How to Tie a Tie won the Best Screenplay; Leiying Luan in Medea won the Best Actor (Female); Badmus Ibironke in Sky Pie won the Best Supporting Actor (Female); Gerard Depardieu in Umami won the Best Actor (Male); Pierre Richard in Umami won the Best Supporting Actor (Male); Favour Eraikhuvwmem in Baba won the Best Child Actor, while Kiryane Ahmad won the Best Child Actor (Male) in “Merlich Merlich.
From Trash To Treasure won the Best Editing; Potato won the Best Short Film; Ami won the Best Nigerian Film; Impossible Love won the Best Cinematography; Mummy Is Not Fine won Best Sound Design; Merlich Merlich won the Best Student Film and Ami won the Best Animation
Other movies that had honourary mentions were Kiitan , Midnight Gift, Invisible Manners; Urgent News Bulletin and Archibald Syndrome.
Ex-Gang Leader Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis Goes on Trial Over 1996 Tupac Shakur Murder—-Nearly 30 years after Tupac Shakur was killed in a Las Vegas drive-by shooting, Duane “Keffe D” Davis faces trial in the only criminal case brought in connection with the rap icon’s death.
Nearly three decades after Tupac Shakur was fatally shot in Las Vegas, the long-running mystery surrounding the rapper’s death is finally heading into a courtroom as former gang leader Duane “Keffe D” Davis goes on trial Monday.
Davis, 63, is charged with murder with a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang. He has pleaded not guilty. Jury selection is scheduled to begin in Clark County District Court, with the trial expected to last several weeks.
Prosecutors accuse Davis of helping orchestrate the September 1996 attack that killed Shakur. Authorities allege that Davis was involved in planning the retaliation after an earlier confrontation involving members of his South Side Compton Crips gang and Shakur’s entourage.
Davis has never been accused of personally pulling the trigger. Prosecutors instead contend that he helped organize the attack and supplied the firearm allegedly used in the shooting. The identity of the person who fired the fatal shots remains a central issue in the case.
Shakur was only 25 when he was shot while riding in a BMW driven by Death Row Records co-founder Marion “Suge” Knight following a Mike Tyson boxing match in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996. He died six days later from his injuries.
For years, the investigation produced no criminal charges. The case was revived after Davis made public comments about his alleged involvement, including accounts contained in his 2019 memoir, “Compton Street Legend,” as well as interviews and documentary appearances.
Those statements are expected to form a major part of the prosecution’s case. Prosecutors have acknowledged that Davis’ various accounts contain inconsistencies but argue that his statements nevertheless provide evidence of his role in the killing.
The defense, meanwhile, is expected to challenge the credibility and reliability of those statements. Davis’ lawyers have argued that portions of his memoir and other public accounts were exaggerated or inaccurate, setting up a trial in which the jury may have to determine which parts of Davis’ numerous accounts can be trusted.
The case also brings renewed attention to the bitter East Coast-West Coast rivalry that surrounded the hip-hop industry during the 1990s. Shakur was closely associated with Death Row Records, while the rivalry with Bad Boy Records and figures connected to the East Coast had become increasingly hostile.
Davis was arrested in September 2023 after investigators obtained a new indictment in the case, making him the only person ever charged in connection with Shakur’s murder. He has remained in custody since then.
The trial has attracted enormous public interest because of Shakur’s enduring influence on music and popular culture. The rapper sold tens of millions of records during his career and remains one of hip-hop’s most influential figures nearly three decades after his death.
Shakur’s family and supporters have spent years seeking answers over what happened that night in Las Vegas. The proceedings now offer prosecutors their first opportunity to present a complete criminal case before a jury.
However, the trial is not expected to resolve every unanswered question surrounding the murder. With the alleged gunman never charged and key witnesses from the 1996 era no longer available, prosecutors face the challenge of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that Davis was criminally responsible for the killing.
As jury selection begins Monday, the case enters a historic new chapter — nearly 30 years after one of hip-hop’s most enduring mysteries began.
Watch Moment Davido Shows Carter Efe His Direct Messages with Cristiano Ronaldo (VIDEO)—-The Afrobeats superstar left streamer Carter Efe in disbelief after revealing his direct messages with football icon Cristiano Ronaldo during a live broadcast, reigniting buzz about their long-standing friendship.
Nigerian music star Davido surprised content creator Carter Efe and thousands of viewers after briefly showing his private direct messages with Cristiano Ronaldo during a live-stream session, offering fans another glimpse into his relationship with the Portuguese football legend.
The viral moment unfolded during Carter Efe’s livestream with Davido, where the singer scrolled through his phone and flashed what appeared to be an active conversation with Ronaldo. The revelation sparked excitement among viewers, many of whom had previously questioned Davido’s repeated claims that he shares a close relationship with the five-time Ballon d’Or winner.
Carter Efe reacted with visible amazement, while clips of the exchange quickly spread across social media, with fans praising Davido for seemingly putting an end to doubts about his connection with one of football’s greatest-ever players. The livestream generated widespread discussion across X, Instagram and TikTok, where users debated the pair’s friendship and shared screenshots from the broadcast.
Davido has spoken publicly about his friendship with Ronaldo on several occasions. In interviews, the Afrobeats star has described the Portugal captain as “a very good friend,” while revealing that they have communicated privately over the years.
Earlier, Davido also recounted how Ronaldo personally invited him to watch a Manchester United match at Old Trafford, with plans for dinner and a post-match gathering. According to the singer, United’s defeat that evening left Ronaldo so frustrated that he cancelled the planned meet-up and went straight home—a story that sparked widespread debate online before fans pointed to the pair’s long-standing interactions on social media.
The latest livestream appearance has only strengthened public fascination with Davido’s ties to global sporting icons. While the singer kept the contents of the conversation private, the brief glimpse of the messages was enough to send social media into a frenzy and fuel fresh conversations about his friendship with Cristiano Ronaldo.
The viral moment once again highlighted Davido’s influence beyond music, with the award-winning artist continuing to attract global attention through his connections with some of the world’s biggest names in sports and entertainment.