Connect with us
Gaza crisis

Gaza Crisis: U.S., Russia Abstain As Security Council Adopts Key Resolution

More Videos

Published

on

Gaza Crisis: U.S., Russia Abstain As Security Council Adopts Key Resolution—The UN Security Council on Friday adopted a resolution on the ongoing crisis with 13 votes in favour and the U.S. and Russia abstaining.

The resolution, among others demands immediate, safe and unhindered delivery of humanitarian assistance at scale directly to the Palestinian civilian population throughout the Gaza strip.

Speaking, Riyad Mansour, Permanent Observer of the State of Palestine, said the Security Concill first met to address the crisis when hundreds of Palestinians had been killed by Israel.

“The Council is now meeting after over 20,000 Palestinians have been killed, almost half of them children and 60,000 wounded, and two million Palestinians have been forcefully displaced.

“It is meeting as homes, shelters, schools and hospitals have been destroyed, and as hunger and disease are spreading like wildfire,” he noted.

He added that Palestinians had been facing death every single day for 75 days.

He stated that the Arab and Organisation for Islamic Cooperation (OIC) groups, with support of some UN Member States had been mobilising for three objectives, an immediate ceasefire, humanitarian assistance at scale, and no forced displacement.

“We meet today as part of the continuous efforts to advance these goals,” he said.

Mansour said, “inhumane and criminal Israeli siege” and the use of vital humanitarian “as a method of war” must end immediately.

“What we are dealing with is an attempt at the destruction of our people and their displacement forever from their land,” he said.

He added: “This is Israel’s goal, its true objective, no future for Palestinians in Palestine.

“That is why it is bombing everyone and everything.”

He described the resolution as a step in the right direction, noting that it must be implemented and must be accompanied by massive pressure for an immediate ceasefire.

Russian Ambassador, Alekseyevich Nebenzia, recalled the amendment proposed by his delegation and said the vote on it was a moment of truth.

He expressed regret that the Security Council did not find the courage to support at least the minimum call for an end to the violence in Gaza, and it instead signed up for a “license to kill” Palestinian civilians.

“This is a tragic moment for the Council, not a moment of triumph for multilateral diplomacy, but rather one of gross unprincipled blackmail and open scorn on the part of Washington for the suffering of Palestinians and the hopes of the global community,” he said.

He noted that if the draft resolution had not been supported by a number of Arab States, Russia would certainly have vetoed it.

He added that Arab States are able to take decisions and bear responsibility, and underscored “categorical” disagreement with the content on the resolution.

Ambassador Nebenzia also emphasised that the Security Council’s clear demand for a full ceasefire remained an imperative, and that without it, the implementation of Council decisions in Gaza was simply impossible.

U.S. Ambassador, Thomas-Greenfield, was the first to speak after the vote, describing the resolution as “a glimmer of hope amongst a sea of unimaginable suffering.”

She said since the start of the conflict, the U.S. had worked tirelessly to alleviate the humanitarian crisis, to get lifesaving assistance into Gaza and to get hostages out of the enclave.

She added that the country also pushed for the protection of innocent civilians and humanitarian workers, and to work towards a lasting peace.

“Today this Council made clear that all hostages must be released immediately and unconditionally and that humanitarian groups must be able to access hostages, including for medical visits,” she said.

The Council made it clear that all parties must respect international humanitarian laws and that civilian, humanitarian and UN facilities, as well as humanitarian personnel and medical personnel, must be protected.

While encouraged that the Council spoke out on the humanitarian crisis, Thomas-Greenfield said the U.S. was “appalled” that it was again unable to condemn the horrific terrorist attacks committed by Hamas  on  Oct. 7.

She said her country did not support the proposal by Russia.

“We believe the humanitarian resolution before us calls for urgent steps to immediately allow safe, unhindered, and expanded humanitarian access and to create the conditions for a sustainable cessation of hostilities.

“This is a strong step forward,” she added.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

News

686 Days and Counting: Hull Loss Keeps Man United Fan Away From the Barber

Published

on

686 Days and Counting: Hull Loss Keeps Man United Fan Away From the Barber—-Frank Ilett’s bizarre haircut challenge has entered another chapter after Manchester United’s 2–0 defeat to Hull City extended his wait for a five-match winning streak.

For most football fans, a disappointing result means a few hours of frustration before attention turns to the next match.

For Frank Ilett, a Manchester United defeat means something rather different: another few weeks with the same haircut.

Ilett has now reached 686 days without cutting his hair, as his unusual challenge continues following United’s shock 2–0 defeat to newly promoted Hull City at the MKM Stadium.

The challenge began in October 2024, when Ilett decided he would not cut his hair until Manchester United recorded five consecutive victories. What started as a light-hearted challenge has since turned into a remarkable test of patience.

And he is still waiting.

Hull Put Another Hold on the Challenge

There had been renewed optimism that Ilett might finally be getting closer to a haircut after United ended last season with back-to-back victories.

A win over Hull would have given them a third consecutive victory and kept the possibility of reaching the required five-match run alive.

Instead, the newly promoted Tigers produced a memorable performance, beating United 2–0 in front of their home supporters.

Semi Ajayi opened the scoring before Nobel Mendy doubled Hull’s advantage, both goals arriving in the first half.

The result brought United’s winning momentum to an abrupt end — and ensured Ilett’s hair would continue growing.

“This Was Meant to Be One of the Easier Games”

Speaking after the defeat, Ilett admitted that he had expected a very different outcome.

He had viewed the trip to Hull as one of the more manageable fixtures on United’s schedule and was clearly disappointed by the manner of the defeat.

The fan also criticised United’s performance, suggesting that Hull showed greater urgency and desire throughout the contest.

For Ilett, however, the consequences extend beyond the league table.

Every defeat means another delay.

A Challenge That Has Lasted Nearly Two Years

Ilett began his challenge after United’s most recent five-game winning run, which came between January and February 2024.

Since then, the club have failed to produce the sequence required to send him to the barber.

Nearly two years later, the challenge has become an internet curiosity among Manchester United supporters, many of whom have followed the progress of his increasingly lengthy hairstyle.

The latest defeat means the earliest Ilett could potentially complete the challenge is September 20, but only if United win their next five matches.

Those fixtures include meetings with Ipswich Town, Everton, Manchester City, Fulham and their opening Champions League league-phase opponent.

One slip-up would mean the challenge continues.

United’s Results Decide the Fate of His Hair

While United’s immediate concern will be recovering from their disappointing start to the campaign, Ilett will once again be watching every result with a very different interest.

For the players, five consecutive victories would mean momentum and points.

For Ilett, it would finally mean a trip to the barber.

Until then, the scissors remain untouched.

Day 686 has come and gone — and Frank Ilett’s Manchester United-inspired haircut challenge continues

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Sports

BREAKING: Patrick Vieira Appointed New Senegal Head Coach as Teranga Lions Begin New Era

Published

on

BREAKING: Patrick Vieira Appointed New Senegal Head Coach as Teranga Lions Begin New Era—-The Dakar-born former France international takes his first national-team coaching role after Senegal parted ways with Pape Thiaw following their disappointing 2026 World Cup campaign.

Patrick Vieira has been appointed the new head coach of the Senegal national team, with the former France international taking charge of the Teranga Lions for the first time in his managerial career.

The Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) confirmed Vieira’s appointment on Tuesday, August 18, announcing that the 50-year-old will succeed Pape Thiaw, whose tenure ended following Senegal’s elimination from the 2026 FIFA World Cup. 

The appointment represents a major new chapter in Vieira’s coaching career and his first opportunity to manage a senior national team.

Vieira Returns to His Birth Country

Although Vieira represented France throughout his international career, including winning the 1998 FIFA World Cup and Euro 2000, he was born in Dakar, Senegal.

The former midfielder moved to France at the age of eight before developing into one of the country’s most celebrated footballers. He eventually earned 107 caps for Les Bleus and became an important figure in France’s golden generation.

His connection to Senegal makes the appointment particularly significant as he now returns to lead the country’s senior national team.

Replacing Pape Thiaw

Vieira takes over after Thiaw was removed from his position following Senegal’s disappointing World Cup campaign.

The Teranga Lions were eliminated in the round of 32 after surrendering a 2–0 lead against Belgium before eventually losing 3–2 in extra time. The result brought an early end to Senegal’s World Cup ambitions and contributed to the decision to make a change in the dugout.

The FSF subsequently turned to Vieira as it looks to begin a new era.

First National-Team Job for Vieira

Vieira arrives with considerable experience in club management but has never previously managed a senior international side.

He began his coaching career with Manchester City’s youth setup before taking charge of New York City FC in MLS. He later managed French side Nice, Premier League club Crystal Palace, Strasbourg and Italian club Genoa.

His appointment therefore presents a new challenge for the former Arsenal captain, who must now translate his club-management experience to the international stage.

AFCON 2027 Qualification Awaits

Vieira’s first major task will be preparing Senegal for the next international window and the country’s qualification campaign for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations.

Senegal are the reigning African champions and will be expected to remain among the continent’s leading teams under their new manager. The AFCON qualifiers are scheduled to begin as early as September.

The appointment also gives Vieira an opportunity to build a team capable of competing for another continental title while establishing a long-term project with the national side.

A New Chapter for Senegal

For Senegal, Vieira’s appointment represents both a change in leadership and an attempt to reset after a disappointing World Cup.

For Vieira, it is a chance to manage the country of his birth and take charge of a talented generation of Senegalese players.

The FSF said further details concerning Vieira’s official presentation and the next steps in his installation will be announced later.

The man who lifted the World Cup with France in 1998 will now attempt to lead Senegal to continental and international success — beginning with the Teranga Lions’ new era under Patrick Vieira.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Trending

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares