Four witnesses from Adavi Local Government Area of the state gave their evidence for the Social Democratic Party (SDP) before the three-member panel of justices, led by Justice Ado Birnin-Kudu.
The witnesses, when called, gave virtually the same narration regarding what transpired where they voted even though they were in different polling units during the November 11, 2023 governorship poll.
The four witnesses, like the previous ones, adopted their witness depositions on oath.
However, during cross-examination by the defence counsel, they made claims different from what was in the witness depositions.
When shown their deposition, they disowned it, saying it was not written by them while also confirming that they were not polling agents but random voters.
One of the witnesses, Rufai Muhammed, who said he was from Adavi Local Government, stated in his deposition that there was no validly accredited voter for the said election.
Upon cross examination, however, he said he was validly accredited to vote and he voted.
When his attention was drawn to his witness deposition on oath, which said there was no validly accredited voter for the election that he witnessed, he denied the deposition, saying he did not write it.
Another witness, Yakubu AbdulAzeez, said he stood at a particular point throughout the voting period on election day observing the proceedings, and that it was from that point he saw that there was over-voting.
AbdulAzeez, who said he stood watching the voting process, however, could not stand during the tribunal hearing.
He told the panel that he had been suffering from a leg problem since 2008 and the panel directed that he should be given a seat.
Claiming that he stood for hours in a spot to monitor an election that took place in November 2023 thus became an issue of concern.
On his part, Hamza Abdul Azeez said he wrote a letter of complaint to the tribunal that there was over-voting.
But when asked how many votes each political party actually scored in his polling unit, he said he did not know.
The witnesses said their lawyers wrote their depositions for them, but added that they couldn’t remember the names of the lawyers.
The tribunal adjourned the matter until April 2 after Jibrin Okutepa, SAN, sought an adjournment.
While Chief Kanu Agabi, SAN, represented the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Ibrahim Sani Muhammed, SAN, appeared for Governor Usman Ododo, and AbdulWahab Muhammed ,SAN, represented the All Progressives Congress (APC) at the sitting.
The witnesses who testified on Monday were Hamza Abdul Azeez, Said Muhammed, Yakubu Abdul Azeez and Rufai Muhammed, all from Adavi Local Government Area of Kogi.
It would be recalled that the SDP is challenging the victory of Governor Usman Ododo of the APC in the November 11, 2023 governorship election.
Patrick Vieira has been appointed the new head coach of the Senegal national team, with the former France international taking charge of the Teranga Lions for the first time in his managerial career.
The Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) confirmed Vieira’s appointment on Tuesday, August 18, announcing that the 50-year-old will succeed Pape Thiaw, whose tenure ended following Senegal’s elimination from the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
The appointment represents a major new chapter in Vieira’s coaching career and his first opportunity to manage a senior national team.
Vieira Returns to His Birth Country
Although Vieira represented France throughout his international career, including winning the 1998 FIFA World Cup and Euro 2000, he was born in Dakar, Senegal.
The former midfielder moved to France at the age of eight before developing into one of the country’s most celebrated footballers. He eventually earned 107 caps for Les Bleus and became an important figure in France’s golden generation.
His connection to Senegal makes the appointment particularly significant as he now returns to lead the country’s senior national team.
Replacing Pape Thiaw
Vieira takes over after Thiaw was removed from his position following Senegal’s disappointing World Cup campaign.
The Teranga Lions were eliminated in the round of 32 after surrendering a 2–0 lead against Belgium before eventually losing 3–2 in extra time. The result brought an early end to Senegal’s World Cup ambitions and contributed to the decision to make a change in the dugout.
The FSF subsequently turned to Vieira as it looks to begin a new era.
First National-Team Job for Vieira
Vieira arrives with considerable experience in club management but has never previously managed a senior international side.
He began his coaching career with Manchester City’s youth setup before taking charge of New York City FC in MLS. He later managed French side Nice, Premier League club Crystal Palace, Strasbourg and Italian club Genoa.
His appointment therefore presents a new challenge for the former Arsenal captain, who must now translate his club-management experience to the international stage.
AFCON 2027 Qualification Awaits
Vieira’s first major task will be preparing Senegal for the next international window and the country’s qualification campaign for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations.
Senegal are the reigning African champions and will be expected to remain among the continent’s leading teams under their new manager. The AFCON qualifiers are scheduled to begin as early as September.
The appointment also gives Vieira an opportunity to build a team capable of competing for another continental title while establishing a long-term project with the national side.
A New Chapter for Senegal
For Senegal, Vieira’s appointment represents both a change in leadership and an attempt to reset after a disappointing World Cup.
For Vieira, it is a chance to manage the country of his birth and take charge of a talented generation of Senegalese players.
The FSF said further details concerning Vieira’s official presentation and the next steps in his installation will be announced later.
The man who lifted the World Cup with France in 1998 will now attempt to lead Senegal to continental and international success — beginning with the Teranga Lions’ new era under Patrick Vieira.
The Department of State Services (DSS) has invited the Oluyin of Iyin-Ekiti, Oba Adeniyi Adeola Ajakaiye, for questioning after he made a quiet but suspicious demand for the chair used by Ekiti State Governor, Biodun Oyebanji during a thanksgiving service at Babamuboni Memorial Anglican Church, Iyin-Ekiti.
According to leaked correspondences exchanged between Babamuboni Anglican Church and Oluyin’s Palace, Governor Oyebanji had attended an event on May 31, 2026 at the invitation of Senate Leader, Michael Opeyemi Bamidele, an indigene of Iyin-Ekiti few days to the state’s gubernatorial election.
How Oluyin of Iyin-Ekiti Strangely Demanded Governor’s Seat
It was gathered that after the church program, the Oluyin of Iyin Ekiti, Oba Ajakaiye quietly and specifically requested for the chair which the Governor sat on during the church program.
The church’s Vicar who suspected a mischief by the Oluyin’s palace politely declined the estranged and bizzare request.
According to the church, the decline made Oba Oluyin furious who immediately influenced the untimely transfer of the church’s vicar, Ven. Dr. Samuel Sunday Agunbiade from the church.
The Palace, in a letter addressed to the church , insisted that the governor’s seat be surrendered for “royal custody and appropriate traditional rites.”
In the said letter from the Oluyin-in-Council to the church, they strangely said that “the replacement chair to be commissioned henceforth shall be placed under strict and adequate guard at all times, to avert any future desecration or recurrence of such grave oversight against the sanctity of the stool.”
Meanwhile, the request which has been described as barbaric and bizarre in Nigeria’s political and religious history, immediately raised suspicion and outrage within the community.
The Position of the Anglican Church
The Anglican Church, in its formal reply, rejected the demand, stressing that church property is held in trust under ecclesiastical governance. It further explained that the chair no longer existed, having already been dismantled and incorporated into the altar furnishing.
According to the church, “Consequently, the Church is not at liberty to surrender, transfer, or remove dedicated Church property for external purposes outside the procedures prescribed by ecclesiastical authority.
“As custodians of these properties, we are duty-bound to preserve and administer them in accordance with the doctrine, discipline, and governance of the Church.”
Despite the stance of the church to strictly adhere to its ecclesiastical responsibilities and constitutional obligations, the palace persisted.
Outrage in Iyin-Ekiti as Residents React
Residents of Iyin-Ekiti alleged that the monarch’s insistence was not cultural but sinister with claims that the chair might be for ritual manipulation against the governor whom at the time was preparing for his re-election.
They noted that the DSS invitation to the Oluyin underscores how seriously the security agency views the matter stressing that there are sinister motive behind the estranged act.
It was equally gathered that the fallout extended to the church leadership. Ven. Dr. Agunbiade, the vicar who stood firm against the palace’s demand, was transferred under circumstances widely perceived as punitive.
Residents noted that while governors, presidents, and dignitaries have attended church services across Nigeria and Ekiti State in particular for decades, never has a demand been made for their chairs to undergo “traditional rites.”
They described the incident as mischievous while calling for a thorough investigation by the DSS to unravel the mystery and sinister motives behind the bizzare request of the monarch.