Connect with us
EX-GOV BELLO

JUST IN: FCT HIGH COURT ADMITS EX-GOV BELLO TO N500M BAIL

More Videos

Published

on

JUST IN: FCT HIGH COURT ADMITS EX-GOV BELLO TO N500M BAIL—-The Federal Capital Territory High Court, on Thursday, granted the immediate past Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, bail in the sum of N500 million with three sureties in like sum.

Justice Maryann Anenih had, on December 10, refused the ex-governor’s bail application, saying it was filed prematurely.

While delivering the initial ruling, she said, having been filed when the 1st defendant was neither in custody nor before the court, the instant application was incompetent.

There was, however room for the governor’s lawyers to file a fresh application for bail and apply for hearing date.

The former governor is facing an alleged money laundering trial to the tune of N110bn, along with two others.

He had pleaded not guilty to the 16-count charges brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

When the case was called for hearing, on Thursday, Counsel for the former governor, Joseph Daudu, SAN, informed the court that the defence counsels had filed a further affidavit in response to the counter affidavit filed and served by the prosecution counsels.

He, however, applied to withdraw the further affidavit, saying, “We do not want to make the matter contentious.”

There was no objection from the prosecution counsel, Olukayode Enitan, SAN. The court, therefore, granted the application for withdrawal, striking out the further affidavit.

Daudu, SAN also informed the court that discussions had taken place with the leader of the prosecution counsels, resulting in an agreement to ensure a speedy trial.

In light of this understanding, Daudu urged the court to grant the bail application.

He further requested that if the court would graciously grant the Defendant bail, the court should kindly review the bail conditions for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd defendants.

He urged the court to broaden the scope of properties to be used as bail sureties to include locations across the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), rather than limiting the location solely to Maitama.

The prosecution counsel, Enitan SAN, acknowledged that Daudu SAN had been in talks with the prosecution team.

In accordance with the Rules of Professional Conduct (RPC), the EFCC Counsel gave assurance of their cooperation in expediting the trial.

He said, “I confirm the evidence given by the distinguished member of the bar that is leading the Defence, J.B. Daudu, SAN, that he has been in conversation with the leader of the prosecuting team.

“As with the legal tradition that we should cooperate with members of the bar when it does not affect the course of justice, we have decided not to make this contentious, bearing in mind that no matter how industrious the defence counsel might be in pushing forward the application for bail and no matter how vociferous the prosecution counsel can argue against the bail application, your lordship is bound by your discretion to grant or not to grant the application.

“We are therefore leaving this to your lordship’s discretion.”

Delivering her ruling, Justice Anenih acknowledged that the offence the 1st Defendant was charged with was a bailable one and granted the ex-governor bail in the sum of N500 million, with three sureties in like sum.

The sureties must be notable Nigerians with landed property in Maitama, Jabi, Utako, Apo, Guzape, Garki and Asokoro.

The 1st Defendant was also asked to deposit his international passport and other travel documents with the court. He is to remain at Kuje Correctional Centre until the bail conditions are met.

The court also granted the application to vary the bail conditions for the 2nd and 3rd Defendants, Umaru Oricha and Abdulsalami Hudu, respectively.

They were granted bail in the sum of N300 million, with two sureties who must own landed property in Maitama, Jabi, Apo, Garki, Wuse, or Guzape. The location was initially restricted to Maitama.

They are to deposit their international passports and other travel documents with the court.

The 2nd and 3rd Defendants are to remain at the Kuje Correctional Centre pending the fulfilment of their bail conditions.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Sports

JUST IN: Maresca Suffers Arsenal Defeat Again as Manchester City Lose Community Shield 3–0

Published

on

JUST IN: Maresca Suffers Arsenal Defeat Again as Manchester City Lose  Community Shield3–0—-Enzo Maresca’s competitive debut as Manchester City manager ends in disappointment as Arsenal cruise to victory in Cardiff and lift the Community Shield.

Enzo Maresca’s first competitive match in charge of Manchester City ended in a nightmare as Arsenal swept aside the FA Cup holders 3–0 to claim the 2026 Community Shield at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

The defeat means Maresca has suffered another setback against Arsenal, having previously faced the Gunners during his time at Chelsea. But this loss will carry particular significance, coming in his first competitive game since taking over from Pep Guardiola at City.

Calafiori Strikes Inside 24 Seconds

Arsenal needed less than a minute to take control.

Riccardo Calafiori opened the scoring after just 24 seconds, finishing from Myles Lewis-Skelly’s delivery to give Mikel Arteta’s side a dream start. It was reported as the fastest Community Shield goal in 58 years.

The early goal immediately put City under pressure and gave Arsenal confidence as they looked to exploit the uncertainty surrounding Maresca’s new-look side.

Havertz Doubles Arsenal’s Lead

Arsenal continued to dominate and eventually doubled their advantage in the 28th minute.

Kai Havertz found the net after goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma failed to deal convincingly with the situation, leaving Arsenal with a commanding 2–0 lead before half-time.

City struggled to generate a sustained attacking response, with Arsenal’s defensive organisation limiting the opportunities available to Erling Haaland and Phil Foden.

Ødegaard Completes the Rout

The Gunners completed the victory early in the second half when captain Martin Ødegaard added a third goal.

Christos Tzolis was involved in another Arsenal attacking move, while Ødegaard produced a composed finish to effectively put the contest beyond City’s reach.

Arsenal’s defence then held firm to preserve a clean sheet and secure a convincing victory.

A Nightmare Start for Maresca

The result could hardly have been more difficult for Maresca.

The Italian was appointed as Guardiola’s successor after City entered a new era following the Spaniard’s departure. The Community Shield represented Maresca’s first competitive opportunity to demonstrate that he could lead the club back to the top of English football.

Instead, Arsenal exposed several weaknesses in his team, particularly in defensive organisation and their ability to control the match after falling behind.

Maresca had previously said one of his ambitions at City was to close the gap on Arsenal, who finished as Premier League champions last season. His first competitive meeting with the Gunners therefore provided an immediate test of that ambition.

Arsenal Send Early Warning

For Arteta and Arsenal, the victory provides an early statement ahead of the new Premier League campaign.

The Gunners looked sharp, aggressive and confident, while their new additions and returning players fitted smoothly into Arteta’s system.

The Community Shield does not determine the Premier League title race, but Arsenal’s performance will undoubtedly strengthen belief among their supporters that the champions are ready to defend their crown and compete for further silverware.

For Maresca, however, there is now plenty of work to do.

Manchester City’s new era has begun with a heavy defeat, while Arsenal have already sent a clear message to their rivals: they are ready for another fight at the top.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Politics

BREAKING: After Historic Osun Victory, Adeleke Backs Tinubu for 2027 Re-Election

Published

on

BREAKING: After Historic Osun Victory, Adeleke Backs Tinubu for 2027 Re-Election—-Fresh from securing a second term as Osun governor under the Accord Party, Ademola Adeleke has reaffirmed his support for President Bola Tinubu’s bid for another term in 2027.

Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has reaffirmed his support for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s bid for re-election in 2027, shortly after securing another four-year term as governor of the state.

Adeleke made the declaration in his victory speech following his successful re-election in the August 15 governorship election, where he contested under the Accord Party after leaving the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The governor’s renewed endorsement of Tinubu adds another significant dimension to his remarkable political journey. Adeleke won his first term as governor in 2022 on the PDP platform but subsequently moved to Accord ahead of the 2026 election, successfully defending his seat as an incumbent under his new party.

Adeleke Praises Tinubu After Election Victory

In his post-election remarks, Adeleke expressed appreciation to President Tinubu, who had called to congratulate him on his victory.

The Osun governor praised the President for what he described as his role in ensuring that democracy continued to thrive, while acknowledging Tinubu’s congratulatory gesture following the election.

Adeleke’s comments represent a notable development given the political rivalry and tensions that characterized the build-up to the Osun election.

Before the poll, the governor had repeatedly called on the Federal Government and security agencies to ensure a free, fair and peaceful election. His campaign also exchanged accusations with the APC over the conduct of the electoral process and the role of federal authorities.

Renewed Support for Tinubu’s 2027 Ambition

Adeleke’s endorsement of Tinubu for 2027 is not entirely new.

The governor had previously declared his support for Tinubu’s re-election campaign before the Osun governorship election. In June, while formally launching his Accord Party re-election campaign, Adeleke described his support for the President as “unshaken and total.”

He again reaffirmed that position after winning the Osun election, emphasizing his continued backing for the President’s second-term ambition. Vanguard and Punch both reported the governor’s renewed endorsement following his victory.

Adeleke also described Tinubu as a son of Osun, further highlighting the personal and political connection he says exists between the President and the state.

Adeleke’s Historic Political Switch

The endorsement comes just days after Adeleke achieved a major political feat by retaining the Osun governorship despite switching parties.

The governor was elected in 2022 as a PDP candidate but later abandoned the party following a prolonged internal crisis. He subsequently joined Accord and secured the party’s ticket to contest the 2026 election.

His decision created considerable political uncertainty because he was defending his position as an incumbent governor without the PDP structure that had originally brought him to power.

Adeleke ultimately overcame the challenge, winning another term under Accord and strengthening his position as one of the country’s most prominent politicians outside the traditional major-party platforms.

Tinubu Congratulates Adeleke

President Tinubu has also congratulated Adeleke on his re-election, describing the result as a reflection of the will of the people.

The President said the outcome demonstrated that democracy continues to flourish in Nigeria and urged the governor to use his renewed mandate to serve the people of Osun State.

The development creates an interesting political dynamic ahead of 2027, with Adeleke now firmly positioned as an Accord governor who is publicly supporting the incumbent President’s re-election bid.

For Adeleke, the immediate priority will be delivering on the mandate he has just received from Osun voters. But his decision to publicly back Tinubu also signals that his political calculations extend beyond the state and into the increasingly important national contest ahead of the 2027 presidential election.

After securing a historic second term under Accord, Adeleke has now turned his attention toward the next political battle — throwing his weight behind Tinubu’s bid to remain President beyond 2027.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Trending

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares