Connect with us
EFCC Chairman

JUST IN: President Tinubu Rejects Calls For Removal Of Ola Olukoyede As EFCC Chairman

More Videos

Published

on

JUST IN: President Tinubu Rejects Calls For Removal Of Ola Olukoyede As EFCC Chairman—-Despite lawmakers and other politicians’ calls for suspension and possible removal of the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Ola Olukoyede, after dusting reports on allegations of financial improprieties against high-profile current and former public officeholders, the appeals have not caught the attention of President Bola Tinubu, who has held tenaciously to his campaign promises on corruption.

Rather than consider appeals from members of his political party, All Progressives Congress (APC), and opposition parties, the president directed that the Olukoyede-led anti-graft agency build on achievements recorded and effectively tackle corruption particularly as it affects Nigeria’s image.

While responding to the appeal, the President was said to have indicated that he planned to build a better nation that would serve both present and future generations through strong institutions like the EFCC.

Speaking exclusively on the anti-graft agency’s boss enforcement strategy on Tuesday amid the 64th independence anniversary, an aide to the President, who spoke on condition of anonymity, stressed that the president is aware of the allegations of financial improprieties hanging on many advocating for Olukoyede’s removal.

He added that the administration’s concern, as reflected in the President’s independence speech, is to build a greater Nigeria where accountability is key and every citizen can access opportunities.

According to him, a head of an enforcement institution that guarantees such has keyed into the administration’s agenda and will not have problems with the president.

Pointing to the statement released by the president’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the aide argued that the anti-graft agency boss is meeting President Tinubu’s campaign promises.

A female aide, who is attached to the Aso Villa, told our correspondent that the President is happy with the approaches adopted by the commission in the fight against corruption especially on high-profile cases.

Some of the high-profile cases being prosecuted by the agency were the Kogi former governor, Bello, who has been avoiding arraignment, and his colleague, Taraba state former governor, Darius Ishaku.

She explained that the EFCC boss met the President’s expectations which formed part of the reasons for the statement issued by Onanuga barely a week ago.

She said: “The president remains a strong supporter of Olukoyede who had hit the ground running in delivering the change agenda of the President with his commitment to weed out corrupt officials.

According to her, the President had been open on his disdain for graft and the need to bring treasury looters to book, a job which Olukoyede is handling to the admiration of Mr President.

“The position of the Mr President remains unchanged. He wants to fight corruption to a standstill and the current head of the EFCC understands the assignment and is going about his job diligently, so why would the President want to change one of his best-performing sheriffs?

“Politicians and their praise singers fearing their imminent day in court to give an account of how resources entrusted in their care vanished should better prepare for their days in court as the President is pleased with Olukoyde and his seat won’t be vacant anytime soon,” the source, who craved anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the matter, said.

Also, it was learnt that despite the calls for Olukoyede’s removal, his transducers have no strong case before the president to justify their demand for the EFCC boss sack.

Another source in the President’s office said that those against the anti-graft agency’s head had earlier approached the court for his removal without success.

He recalled that a Federal High Court, Abuja, had in June dismissed a suit seeking the sack of Olukoyede as the EFCC chairman after an Abuja-based legal practitioner, Victor Opatola, filed the suit against the President for appointing Olukoyede as EFCC’s boss.

Besides, the source argued that Olukoyede is qualified to occupy his current office having served as secretary of the commission, a grade Level 17 position, which is higher than the rank of an Assistant Commissioner of Police, a grade Level 14 position.

“Why will the President remove the anti-graft agency boss committed to ensuring that his (Tinubu’s) grand strategic plans toward a better Nigeria are achieved?,” the source queried, adding that the former Lagos governor was committed to seeing Olukoyede succeed in his job.

“The pointer to this is the fact that Mr President has never interfered in the commission’s activities since he (Olukoyede) assumed office. So, it’s not in the plan of the President to remove the EFCC chair. Though there are plans to rejig his cabinet and some security chiefs may not be spared, the EFCC chairman would still retain his seat,” the source, who does not want his name in print because he wasn’t authorized to speak on the matter, said.

Also, one of the President’s cabinet members informed our reporter that the President was solidly behind the commission’s activities and wouldn’t interfere in its business.

The cabinet member, who doesn’t want to be mentioned for fear of divulging sensitive information, said, “Politicians should forget the EFCC chairman’s removal, that isn’t happening. He is diligent with his job and walking his talks and that is why you see corruption fighting back. It was crystal clear that the former Kogi governor would be losing the 18-count charges of money laundering preferred against him by the EFCC and that is why he resorted to cheap blackmails and several dramas.

“So, the noise from his hordes of paid emergency lovers of democracy seeking the removal of Olukoyede won’t materialize. The President is committed to ensuring politicians and appointees who looted the treasury account for it; that is why he didn’t interfere and allowed the anti-graft agency to work despite Bello being the same party man as Mr President.”

Recall that Olukoyede, through a recent press release by the agency’s spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, reiterated his commitment to ensuring political bigwigs have their days in court to account for several corruption cases hanging on their necks.

Also in June 2024, Olukoyede during a courtesy visit to the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, confirmed that Tinubu gave him full access to deal with criminals and those who had dipped their hands into the public treasury, thereby impeding the pace of development in the country.

“Since I was appointed the Chairman of the EFCC, the President has never called me to stop, impose, dictate, or prescribe any directive as regards the affairs or activities of the commission, rather the anti-graft agency has so far enjoyed adequate support needed from the Federal Government towards achieving the mandate of the commission,” Olukoyede had said..

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares

Politics

BREAKING: After Historic Osun Victory, Adeleke Backs Tinubu for 2027 Re-Election

Published

on

BREAKING: After Historic Osun Victory, Adeleke Backs Tinubu for 2027 Re-Election—-Fresh from securing a second term as Osun governor under the Accord Party, Ademola Adeleke has reaffirmed his support for President Bola Tinubu’s bid for another term in 2027.

Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has reaffirmed his support for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s bid for re-election in 2027, shortly after securing another four-year term as governor of the state.

Adeleke made the declaration in his victory speech following his successful re-election in the August 15 governorship election, where he contested under the Accord Party after leaving the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The governor’s renewed endorsement of Tinubu adds another significant dimension to his remarkable political journey. Adeleke won his first term as governor in 2022 on the PDP platform but subsequently moved to Accord ahead of the 2026 election, successfully defending his seat as an incumbent under his new party.

Adeleke Praises Tinubu After Election Victory

In his post-election remarks, Adeleke expressed appreciation to President Tinubu, who had called to congratulate him on his victory.

The Osun governor praised the President for what he described as his role in ensuring that democracy continued to thrive, while acknowledging Tinubu’s congratulatory gesture following the election.

Adeleke’s comments represent a notable development given the political rivalry and tensions that characterized the build-up to the Osun election.

Before the poll, the governor had repeatedly called on the Federal Government and security agencies to ensure a free, fair and peaceful election. His campaign also exchanged accusations with the APC over the conduct of the electoral process and the role of federal authorities.

Renewed Support for Tinubu’s 2027 Ambition

Adeleke’s endorsement of Tinubu for 2027 is not entirely new.

The governor had previously declared his support for Tinubu’s re-election campaign before the Osun governorship election. In June, while formally launching his Accord Party re-election campaign, Adeleke described his support for the President as “unshaken and total.”

He again reaffirmed that position after winning the Osun election, emphasizing his continued backing for the President’s second-term ambition. Vanguard and Punch both reported the governor’s renewed endorsement following his victory.

Adeleke also described Tinubu as a son of Osun, further highlighting the personal and political connection he says exists between the President and the state.

Adeleke’s Historic Political Switch

The endorsement comes just days after Adeleke achieved a major political feat by retaining the Osun governorship despite switching parties.

The governor was elected in 2022 as a PDP candidate but later abandoned the party following a prolonged internal crisis. He subsequently joined Accord and secured the party’s ticket to contest the 2026 election.

His decision created considerable political uncertainty because he was defending his position as an incumbent governor without the PDP structure that had originally brought him to power.

Adeleke ultimately overcame the challenge, winning another term under Accord and strengthening his position as one of the country’s most prominent politicians outside the traditional major-party platforms.

Tinubu Congratulates Adeleke

President Tinubu has also congratulated Adeleke on his re-election, describing the result as a reflection of the will of the people.

The President said the outcome demonstrated that democracy continues to flourish in Nigeria and urged the governor to use his renewed mandate to serve the people of Osun State.

The development creates an interesting political dynamic ahead of 2027, with Adeleke now firmly positioned as an Accord governor who is publicly supporting the incumbent President’s re-election bid.

For Adeleke, the immediate priority will be delivering on the mandate he has just received from Osun voters. But his decision to publicly back Tinubu also signals that his political calculations extend beyond the state and into the increasingly important national contest ahead of the 2027 presidential election.

After securing a historic second term under Accord, Adeleke has now turned his attention toward the next political battle — throwing his weight behind Tinubu’s bid to remain President beyond 2027.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Politics

JUST IN: From PDP to Accord, Adeleke Makes History as Incumbent Governor Wins Re-Election in Osun

Published

on

JUST IN: From PDP to Accord, Adeleke Makes History as Incumbent Governor Wins Re-Election in Osun—-The Accord Party candidate defeated APC challenger Bola Oyebamiji by 66,252 votes after winning 19 of Osun State’s 30 local government areas.

Jubilation has erupted across Osun State after the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) declared incumbent Governor Ademola Adeleke the winner of the 2026 governorship election, securing another four-year term in office.

Adeleke, the candidate of the Accord Party, polled 511,067 votes to defeat his closest challenger, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who recorded 444,815 votes. The result gave Adeleke a winning margin of 66,252 votes.

The governor’s victory was formally announced early Sunday at the INEC collation centre in Osogbo by the Returning Officer, Professor Joshua Ogunwole, following the collation of results from the state’s 30 local government areas.

Adeleke won 19 of the 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji secured victory in the remaining 11, highlighting the closely fought nature of the contest despite the eventual margin in the overall vote tally.

The African Democratic Congress candidate, Najeem Salaam, finished a distant third with 17,180 votes, while the other candidates shared the remaining votes.

Celebrations Break Out

News of Adeleke’s victory triggered celebrations among his supporters across the state, with party loyalists and residents taking to the streets to celebrate his return to the Osun Government House.

One of the most prominent reactions came from Afrobeats superstar Davido, Adeleke’s nephew, who had played an active role in his uncle’s campaign. Shortly after INEC announced the result, Davido posted “WE DID IT UNC!!!” on X alongside a video of himself celebrating the victory.

Davido had served as chairman of the Imole Youth Mobilisation Campaign Council and had been heavily involved in mobilising young voters for his uncle during the campaign.

Adeleke Extends His Stay in Government House

Adeleke’s re-election gives him another four years to pursue his administration’s agenda after first winning the Osun governorship election in 2022.

His victory also represents a significant political achievement for the Accord Party, as the governor successfully defended his position against a strong challenge from the APC.

The election was held across Osun’s 30 local government areas on Saturday, with the final results collated into the early hours of Sunday before INEC made the declaration.

With his victory now officially announced, Adeleke is set to begin another four-year tenure as governor of Osun State, while supporters who gathered to celebrate his success hailed the result as a fresh mandate from the people.

For the opposition APC, the defeat means another setback in its attempt to regain control of the South-West state.

The outcome also brings an end to an intensely contested election that attracted significant attention across Nigeria, with Adeleke ultimately emerging victorious and securing his place at the helm of Osun State for another term.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Trending

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares