Connect with us

Published

on

NUPRC Boss Seeks Police Help To Combat Oil Theft—-The Commission Chief Executive (CCE) of the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission, Mr Gbenga Komolafe, is seeking enhanced collaboration with the Nigerian Police toward curbing oil theft in the country.

The CCE said the collaboration would help to arrest the daunting challenge of oil theft in Nigeria’s petroleum sector,

Komolafe emphasised the urgent need for a united front against the escalating challenges posed by the menace when he visited the Inspector General of the Nigerian Police Force, kayode Egbetokun, at the Force Headquarters in Abuja on Thursday.

Komolafe, in a statement signed by Mrs Victoria Okefe, Manager, Corporate Communications, said the collaboration was necessary to curb the illicit activities which had plagued the nation’s oil and gas industry.

Painting a horrid picture of the menace and the detrimental effect it has on the countrys economy, the NUPRC boss underscored the importance of joint efforts to safeguarding Nigeria’s commonwealth.

After briefing the Inspector General on the efforts made so far by the Commission, in collaboration with other security agencies and relevant agencies of government, the CCE said arresting the menace required a joint approach and strategic coordination.

He said this informed his decision to seek partnership with the Nigerian Police to leverage its expertise in law enforcement, particularly in apprehending and prosecuting perpetrators.

Responding to the request, the Inspector General acknowledged the severe impact of oil theft on both the financial landscape and the reputation of the country.

Egbetokun agreed on the need for urgent action to deal with the situation for the sake of the growth and stability of the national economy. 

0Shares
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Business

UBA, GTCO Lose ₦2.13 billion To Fraudsters Despite Heavy Cybersecurity Investments

Published

on

UBA, GTCO Lose ₦2.13 billion To Fraudsters

UBA, GTCO Lose ₦2.13 billion To Fraudsters Despite Heavy Cybersecurity Investments—-Three of Nigeria’s largest financial institutions have reported combined fraud-related losses of approximately ₦2.13 billion in their latest audited financial statements, highlighting the growing threat of cybercrime and electronic banking fraud in the country’s financial sector.

The affected institutions include Access Holdings Plc, Guaranty Trust Holding Company Plc, and United Bank for Africa Plc.

According to details contained in the banks’ 2025 financial reports, fraud incidents linked to the three lenders totalled approximately ₦10.29 billion. However, through recoveries, transaction reversals, and security interventions, the banks were able to prevent or recover about ₦8.16 billion, leaving actual losses at approximately ₦2.13 billion.

Among the banks, Access Holdings recorded the highest direct loss to fraudsters, losing an estimated ₦1.24 billion within the financial year.

United Bank for Africa reported over 26,400 fraud-related incidents, with actual losses totalling approximately ₦621.57 million, while Guaranty Trust Holding Company recorded approximately ₦269.44 million in losses tied to fraudulent activities.

Industry analysts say the figures reflect the increasing sophistication of cybercriminals targeting Nigeria’s rapidly expanding digital banking ecosystem.

Most of the fraud cases were reportedly connected to electronic banking channels, including unauthorised transfers, mobile banking compromise, phishing schemes, identity theft, and other forms of digital payment fraud.

The development comes as Nigerian banks continue to accelerate the country’s transition toward a cashless economy through mobile banking platforms, internet banking services, agency banking networks, and digital payment systems.

Despite the losses, the financial institutions significantly increased investments in technology infrastructure and cybersecurity measures during the year under review.

Collectively, the banks reportedly spent over ₦280 billion on technology upgrades, fraud monitoring systems, customer authentication processes, and transaction security enhancements aimed at reducing cyber threats and protecting customer funds.

Meanwhile, the Central Bank of Nigeria has also intensified regulatory efforts to curb financial fraud across the banking industry.

The apex bank recently introduced stricter compliance measures requiring financial institutions to strengthen fraud detection systems, improve transaction monitoring, and respond more rapidly to suspicious activities and customer complaints.

Financial experts have warned that as digital banking adoption continues to rise across Nigeria, banks and customers alike must remain vigilant against increasingly advanced cybercrime tactics targeting the financial sector

0Shares
Continue Reading

News

Custody Death Scandal: LawyerTemokun Drags NDLEA, Demands Immediate Probe

Published

on

Lawyer Temokun Drags NDLEA

Custody Death Scandal: Lawyer Temokun Drags NDLEA, Demands Immediate Probe—-Calls for accountability grow after fresh death mirrors earlier prolonged detention case in Ondo.

Human rights lawyer Temokun has condemned the death of a detainee in the custody of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), demanding an immediate and transparent investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident.

The lawyer described the development as alarming, linking it to a previous case in Ondo State involving prolonged detention without due process. In that earlier incident, Temokun had accused authorities of незакон detention and rights violations, insisting that suspects must be charged to court rather than held indefinitely.

He stressed that repeated allegations of unlawful detention and abuse within custody raise serious concerns about accountability and adherence to the rule of law.

Temokun called on relevant authorities to thoroughly probe the latest death, ensure justice for the victim, and prevent a recurrence of such incidents.

The NDLEA has yet to issue an official response regarding the latest allegations, as pressure mounts from legal and civil society groups for greater oversight of detention practices.

The incident adds to growing scrutiny of law enforcement agencies over the treatment of detainees and respect for fundamental human rights in Nigeria.

0Shares
Continue Reading

Trending

0Shares