Connect with us
Fuel Subsidy

PRESIDENCY: NNPC’s $6 billion Debt To Oil Traders Confirms Tinubu Not Lying About Removal Of Fuel Subsidy

More Videos

Published

on

PRESIDENCYNNPC’s $6 billion Debt To Oil Traders Confirms Tinubu Not Lying About Removal Of Fuel Subsidy—The Special Adviser to the President on Information and strategy, Bayo Onanuga, stated that the $6 billion owed to oil traders by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) Limited serves as clear proof that President Tinubu was truthful about the removal of the fuel subsidy.

Thecloudngr reports that Onanuga made this remark in an X (formerly Twitter) post on Tuesday.

The presidential spokesperson stated that the debt arose because the budget did not account for the fuel subsidy, leaving the NNPC to bear the burden of the price difference caused by the devaluation of the naira and the high cost of crude oil.

“I have read a series of articles attacking the Federal Government for not telling the truth about fuel subsidy payments, following  NNPC Limited’s admittance it was owing suppliers some $6 billion.

“Some of the stories have been written with relish, as the authors believed they have uncovered some scoops.

“The truth is that there is no discovery. No lie uncovered.  The government has been faithful to its policy that it was no longer going to pay fuel subsidies since President Tinubu announced the deregulation of the PMS sector on 29 May 2023. Since then, subsidy provisions have disappeared from the budget. It was not in the Supplementary budget of 2023, not in the 2024 budget and the amended 2024 budget.

“The NNPC cried out recently because it can no longer sustain the price differential on its balance sheet without becoming insolvent. The situation  has greater implications for the ability of the three tiers of government to function as the  NNPC has failed to pay into the Federation Account, the money that should go to the government,” Onanuga said.

Backstory 

Nairametrics previously reported that NNPC Limited has acknowledged its debt to international oil traders, which has significantly contributed to the shortage of fuel supply to local marketers.

Recent reports indicate that NNPC owes these traders approximately $6 billion in subsidy obligations, leading the traders to halt the supply of imported petrol to the national oil company.

Although NNPC initially denied these claims, the company later admitted that its outstanding debts to suppliers have been a major factor behind the ongoing fuel scarcity across the country.

“NNPC Ltd. has acknowledged recent reports in national newspapers regarding the company’s significant debt to petrol suppliers. This financial strain has placed considerable pressure on the Company and poses a threat to the sustainability of fuel supply.  

“In line with the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA), NNPC Ltd. remains dedicated to its role as the supplier of last resort, ensuring national energy security. We are actively collaborating with relevant government agencies and other stakeholders to maintain a consistent supply of petroleum products nationwide,” NNPC said.

Although NNPC has yet to confirm the reintroduction of the subsidy, its recent statement suggests that the federal government may need to step in to help settle some of the company’s obligations to international oil traders.

Facebook 0 Twitter 0 LinkedIn WhatsApp 0Shares
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Sports

BREAKING: Ex-Chelsea Captain César Azpilicueta Announces Retirement From Football

Published

on

BREAKING: Ex-Chelsea Captain César Azpilicueta Announces Retirement From Football—-Spanish defender brings curtain down on trophy-laden career after spells with Chelsea, Atlético Madrid and Sevilla.

Former Chelsea FC captain César Azpilicueta has officially announced his retirement from professional football at the age of 36.

The Spanish defender confirmed that he will hang up his boots at the end of the season, bringing an end to a remarkable career that spanned nearly two decades.

He shared this news via his social media handles.

Azpilicueta enjoyed his most successful years at Chelsea after joining the club from Marseille in 2012. During his 11-year spell at Stamford Bridge, he made more than 500 appearances and became the first player in the club’s history to win every major trophy available.

As Chelsea captain, Azpilicueta famously lifted the UEFA Champions League trophy in 2021 under Thomas Tuchel, adding to Premier League, Europa League, FA Cup, UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup triumphs during his time in London.

Following his departure from Chelsea in 2023, the veteran defender spent two seasons with Atlético Madrid before joining Sevilla FC for the final chapter of his career.

Azpilicueta also represented Spain at international level, earning 44 senior caps and featuring in multiple FIFA World Cups and European Championships.

In an emotional farewell message, the defender admitted it was difficult to make the decision but thanked supporters, teammates, coaches and clubs who shaped his journey in football.

Tributes have since poured in from fans and former teammates, with many describing Azpilicueta as one of Chelsea’s greatest modern-day captains and one of the most respected defenders of his generation.

Facebook 0 Twitter 0 LinkedIn WhatsApp 0Shares
Continue Reading

Sports

BREAKING: Shock Omissions as Palmer and Alexander-Arnold Miss England World Cup Selection

Published

on

BREAKING: Shock Omissions as Palmer and Alexander-Arnold Miss England World Cup Selection—-Ex-Chelsea Manager Thomas Tuchel makes bold selection calls ahead of tournament in North America.

England manager Thomas Tuchel has made several major selection decisions after leaving Cole Palmer and Trent Alexander-Arnold out of the Three Lions’ final squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

The omissions have quickly sparked debate among fans and pundits, with both players considered among England’s biggest talents in recent years.

According to reports, Tuchel opted for balance, tactical flexibility, and current form when finalising his 26-man squad for the tournament in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

Palmer’s exclusion comes despite the Chelsea star’s strong performances over the last two seasons, while Alexander-Arnold reportedly missed out due to tactical preferences and competition in defensive areas.

The squad announcement also saw several surprise inclusions, including Ivan Toney and Djed Spence, while experienced names such as Jordan Henderson earned recalls.

Other notable absentees include Harry Maguire and Phil Foden as Tuchel reshapes the squad ahead of England’s World Cup campaign.

England will head into the tournament hoping to end decades of hurt and finally lift the World Cup trophy for the first time since 1966.

Facebook 0 Twitter 0 LinkedIn WhatsApp 0Shares
Continue Reading

Trending

Facebook 0 Twitter 0 LinkedIn WhatsApp 0Shares