Connect with us
Judge Adjourns Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial

UPDATED: Judge Adjourns Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial Indefinitely

More Videos

Published

on

UPDATED: Judge Adjourns Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial Indefinitely—-Justice Binta Nyako of a Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday, adjourned the trial of Nnamdi Kanu, Leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), indefinitely.
Justice Nyako gave the order after Kanu and his counsel, Aloy Ejimakor, insisted that the trial judge no longer had jurisdiction to preside over the case following her earlier recusal (withdrawal) from the matter.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Justice Nyako had, on Sept. 24, 2024, recused (withdrew) herself from the trial of Kanu, after an oral application from the defence and the case file was transferred to the chief judge.
However, the Chief Judge (CJ) of FHC, Justice John Tsoho sent the Kanu’s case file back to Justice Nyako for adjudication, insisting that a formal application must be made by the defence before the recusal could be accepted.
When the matter was called on Monday, counsel to the Federal Government, Chief Adegboyega Awomolo, SAN, informed the court that the case was for resumption of Kanu’s trial.
“Your lordship will recall that on the last date of hearing, there was an oral application that your lordship should recuse yourself and the file be remitted back to the CJ.”
“The CJ, who has the power, has sent back the file. We are ready to proceed with the trial and our witnesses are ready too.
“In obedience to your lordship order, the proof of evidence and relevant documents have been served on the defence and we are ready to go on,” he said.
Hardly had Awomolo ended his statement when Ejimakor interjected.
“My lord, this honourable court has recused itself from the case and my lord has to tell us, first, why we are here before the learner silk could talk.
“We don’t know why we are here because this court stands recused by the extant order,” Ejimakor said.
Justice Nyako then explained that on Sept. 24, 2024, she sent the case file back to the CJ.
“On Oct. 7, 2024, I got a memo from the CJ and it instructs as follows that if the defendant still wants a recusal, he should filed a formal application by way of motion on notice .
“It was.minuted to me by the CJ. The CJ has not accepted by recusal and has minuted the file back to me.
“So if you still want a recusal, you will file a motion on notice and the prosecution will join issues with you and it will be adjourned for ruling.
“I have so many cases before me so it is not as if I am begging for a case,” the judge said.
Responding, Ejimakor disagreed with Justice Nyako.
“With due respect, even though we do not have the privy of the memo from the chief judge, the chief judge does not have the judicial power above this court.
“The CJ is just the first among equals and his memo cannot override the subsisting order of this court that has been enrolled.
“An ordinary administrative memo should not be allowed to override the order of this court. The order stands and we are guided by it,” Ejimakor insisted.
“My advice is that you should go and file a formal application irrespective of your position.
“The power vested in the CJ are not vested in me. He has the power to assign cases in line with the law.
“You are just stalling your client’s case. File everything you want to and the prosecution will join issues with you,” the judge told Ejimakor.
Ejimakor argued that there was no rule of the court that mandated a party to file an application when a recusal had already been done.
While Ejimakor was addressing the court, Kanu cut in and asked his lawyer to keep quiet and sit down.
“Mr Kanu, are you taking over from your lawyer?” Justice Nyako asked and the IPOB leader responded in affirmative.
Awomolo, who expressed surprise at the development, said:he was embarrassed by the proceedings.
The FG’s lawyer said after the explanation by the judge, the proper thing to do by Ejimakor was to either indicate if he would be filing a formal application or not.
Ejimakor stood up to respond to Awomolo’s submission but the judge told him: “Mr Aloy, you have been disengaged. Don’t say anything.”
Kanu then stood up from the dock to address the court.
The IPOB leader insisted that his trial can no longer be before the judge.
Turning to Chief Awomolo, Kanu said: “The Chairman of Body of Benchers is here distorting the laws.
“This man is a grown up man and should be upholding the law.
“Why is he turning the law upside down. I came here because of the respect I have for you (the court). God is my witness.”
“I have not said anything that is contrary to anything.. I sent the case file to CJ and he sent it back to me,” Justice Nyako restated.
“But he (the CJ) is wrong. The CJ supposed to go on appeal because you cannot preside over my case again; not today and not tomorrow.
“Why must he insists that you must be on my case. You are bias. So I don’t want you on my case again. You stand recused,” Kanu said angrily.
Against the development, Awomolo therefore applied for a trial date.
“In view of the fact that the defendant has said that he will not make a formal application, I apply that my lord give a date for hearing,” the senior lawyer said.
Responding, Kanu  said a memo from the CJ cannot override the order of the court.
He recalled that Justice Tsoho, who is presently the CJ, had once presided over his case and he applied that he recused himself from his case.
Kanu said during the time, he took Justice Tsoho to National Judicial Council (NJC) and he won, leading to Justice Tsoho’s withdrawal from his case.
“Why is he insisting that his lordship should continue even after recusing herself?
“Can a memo from the CJ overrides court order? The answer is no.
“Justice Binta stands recused,” he said.
The IPOB leader, who brought out some documents, said: “This is a National Judicial Policy of Nigeria. Please give it to Chief Awomolo, it seems he doesn’t know the law.
“The rule of law is once an order of court is made, it can only be set aside on appeal. Please give him a copy.
“It seems he doesn’t know. If you don’t like what Justice Nyako has done,  go on appeal. She is functus officio. Stop wasting your time.”
When the judge said she would adjourned the case sine die (indefinitely) pending when the parties agree, Kanu said: “You cannot adjourn this case sine die because you have no jurisdiction to adjourn sine die.”
Justice Nyako consequently adjourned the matter sine die (indefinitely).
“The case is now in limbo. I have to adjourn sine die,” she said.
However, Kanu kept shouting in the court: “Why must you insist you must take it. You have an agenda.”
NAN reports that Kanu is facing a seven-count terrorism charge.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Trending News

SHOCKING !! Oluyin Of Iyin-Ekiti In DSS Net Over Alleged Suspicious Demand for Governor’s Used Chair

Published

on

SHOCKING !! Oluyin Of Iyin-Ekiti In DSS Net Over Alleged Suspicious Demand for Governor’s Used Chair

 

The Department of State Services (DSS) has invited the Oluyin of Iyin-Ekiti, Oba Adeniyi Adeola Ajakaiye, for questioning after he made a quiet but suspicious demand for the chair used by Ekiti State Governor, Biodun Oyebanji during a thanksgiving service at Babamuboni Memorial Anglican Church, Iyin-Ekiti.

According to leaked correspondences exchanged between Babamuboni Anglican Church and Oluyin’s Palace, Governor Oyebanji had attended an event on May 31, 2026 at the invitation of Senate Leader, Michael Opeyemi Bamidele, an indigene of Iyin-Ekiti few days to the state’s gubernatorial election.

How Oluyin of Iyin-Ekiti Strangely Demanded Governor’s Seat

It was gathered that after the church program, the Oluyin of Iyin Ekiti, Oba Ajakaiye quietly and specifically requested for the chair which the Governor sat on during the church program.

The church’s Vicar who suspected a mischief by the Oluyin’s palace politely declined the estranged and bizzare request.

According to the church, the decline made Oba Oluyin furious who immediately influenced the untimely transfer of the church’s vicar, Ven. Dr. Samuel Sunday Agunbiade from the church.

The Palace, in a letter addressed to the church , insisted that the governor’s seat be surrendered for “royal custody and appropriate traditional rites.”

In the said letter from the Oluyin-in-Council to the church, they strangely said that “the replacement chair to be commissioned henceforth shall be placed under strict and adequate guard at all times, to avert any future desecration or recurrence of such grave oversight against the sanctity of the stool.”

Meanwhile, the request which has been described as barbaric and bizarre in Nigeria’s political and religious history, immediately raised suspicion and outrage within the community.

The Position of the Anglican Church

The Anglican Church, in its formal reply, rejected the demand, stressing that church property is held in trust under ecclesiastical governance. It further explained that the chair no longer existed, having already been dismantled and incorporated into the altar furnishing.

According to the church, “Consequently, the Church is not at liberty to surrender, transfer, or remove dedicated Church property for external purposes outside the procedures prescribed by ecclesiastical authority.

“As custodians of these properties, we are duty-bound to preserve and administer them in accordance with the doctrine, discipline, and governance of the Church.”

REQUEST FOR THE REMOVAL OF THE CHURCH CHAIR TO THE PALACE nnnnn_040357

Despite the stance of the church to strictly adhere to its ecclesiastical responsibilities and constitutional obligations, the palace persisted.

Outrage in Iyin-Ekiti as Residents React

Residents of Iyin-Ekiti alleged that the monarch’s insistence was not cultural but sinister with claims that the chair might be for ritual manipulation against the governor whom at the time was preparing for his re-election.

They noted that the DSS invitation to the Oluyin underscores how seriously the security agency views the matter stressing that there are sinister motive behind the estranged act.

It was equally gathered that the fallout extended to the church leadership. Ven. Dr. Agunbiade, the vicar who stood firm against the palace’s demand, was transferred under circumstances widely perceived as punitive.

Residents noted that while governors, presidents, and dignitaries have attended church services across Nigeria and Ekiti State in particular for decades, never has a demand been made for their chairs to undergo “traditional rites.”

They described the incident as mischievous while calling for a thorough investigation by the DSS to unravel the mystery and sinister motives behind the bizzare request of the monarch.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Sports

JUST IN: Maresca Suffers Arsenal Defeat Again as Manchester City Lose Community Shield 3–0

Published

on

JUST IN: Maresca Suffers Arsenal Defeat Again as Manchester City Lose  Community Shield3–0—-Enzo Maresca’s competitive debut as Manchester City manager ends in disappointment as Arsenal cruise to victory in Cardiff and lift the Community Shield.

Enzo Maresca’s first competitive match in charge of Manchester City ended in a nightmare as Arsenal swept aside the FA Cup holders 3–0 to claim the 2026 Community Shield at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

The defeat means Maresca has suffered another setback against Arsenal, having previously faced the Gunners during his time at Chelsea. But this loss will carry particular significance, coming in his first competitive game since taking over from Pep Guardiola at City.

Calafiori Strikes Inside 24 Seconds

Arsenal needed less than a minute to take control.

Riccardo Calafiori opened the scoring after just 24 seconds, finishing from Myles Lewis-Skelly’s delivery to give Mikel Arteta’s side a dream start. It was reported as the fastest Community Shield goal in 58 years.

The early goal immediately put City under pressure and gave Arsenal confidence as they looked to exploit the uncertainty surrounding Maresca’s new-look side.

Havertz Doubles Arsenal’s Lead

Arsenal continued to dominate and eventually doubled their advantage in the 28th minute.

Kai Havertz found the net after goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma failed to deal convincingly with the situation, leaving Arsenal with a commanding 2–0 lead before half-time.

City struggled to generate a sustained attacking response, with Arsenal’s defensive organisation limiting the opportunities available to Erling Haaland and Phil Foden.

Ødegaard Completes the Rout

The Gunners completed the victory early in the second half when captain Martin Ødegaard added a third goal.

Christos Tzolis was involved in another Arsenal attacking move, while Ødegaard produced a composed finish to effectively put the contest beyond City’s reach.

Arsenal’s defence then held firm to preserve a clean sheet and secure a convincing victory.

A Nightmare Start for Maresca

The result could hardly have been more difficult for Maresca.

The Italian was appointed as Guardiola’s successor after City entered a new era following the Spaniard’s departure. The Community Shield represented Maresca’s first competitive opportunity to demonstrate that he could lead the club back to the top of English football.

Instead, Arsenal exposed several weaknesses in his team, particularly in defensive organisation and their ability to control the match after falling behind.

Maresca had previously said one of his ambitions at City was to close the gap on Arsenal, who finished as Premier League champions last season. His first competitive meeting with the Gunners therefore provided an immediate test of that ambition.

Arsenal Send Early Warning

For Arteta and Arsenal, the victory provides an early statement ahead of the new Premier League campaign.

The Gunners looked sharp, aggressive and confident, while their new additions and returning players fitted smoothly into Arteta’s system.

The Community Shield does not determine the Premier League title race, but Arsenal’s performance will undoubtedly strengthen belief among their supporters that the champions are ready to defend their crown and compete for further silverware.

For Maresca, however, there is now plenty of work to do.

Manchester City’s new era has begun with a heavy defeat, while Arsenal have already sent a clear message to their rivals: they are ready for another fight at the top.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Trending

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares