Connect with us
8 Suspects Arrested

8 Suspects Arrested Over The Murder Of Enugu Traditional Ruler- Enugu Police

More Videos

Published

on

8 Suspects Arrested Over The Murder Of Enugu Traditional Ruler—The Commissioner of Police in Enugu State, Mr Kanayo Uzuegbu, says eight suspects have been arrested in connection to Sunday’s murder of a traditional ruler in the state.

The traditional ruler of Akutara, Mr Patrick Ezugwu, in Adani Autonomous Community, Uzo Uwani Council  Area, was killed at about 9pm on Sunday by some armed hoodlums.

The Commissioner of Police, who visited the community on Monday, said those found culpable would be prosecuted.

Uzuegbu said the visit was to assess the situation in continuation of the investigation.

“The Governor of Enugu State said I should relocate to this local government and ensure that all those responsible for this unfortunate act are apprehended in line with the state’s zero tolerance for crime.

“Immediately the news got to me, I dispatched my men from the Criminal Investigation Department and the Area Command, led by the Area Commander, to visit here and ensure that all those involved are arrested.

“Because no incident like this should happen without severe consequences.

“I want to disclose that so far, we have made arrest of eight prime suspects and we will continue to trail the remaining criminal masterminds of this murder.

“We must get to the root of this matter by unraveling all those behind the killing,” he added.

The Commissioner of Police also assured the community that the state governor was deeply concerned about the incident.

“These criminals will never go unpunished,” Uzuegbu further assured members of the community.

Similarly, the Chairman of the local government area, Mr Chukwudi Nnadozie, condoled the family of the deceased, and assured that justice will be done.

“The governor personally reached out to me about the deployment of local intelligence to uncover those behind this, because he said all those culpable must face the wrath of the law.

“The CP also called me about the development, and promised to be here. I want to appreciate the security agencies for their efforts,” he said.

Responding, the President-General of the community, Chief S.N Utazi, said his people were impressed by the swift response of the state government and security agencies immediately after the incident.

He said nobody anticipated such heinous crime as the community had been at peace in recent times.

He called on the police to continue manhunt for the remaining suspects and ensure proper punishment for them.

The community’s Prime Minister, Dr Obinna Ayogu, said they were dumfounded by the murder of the royal father whom he described as a peaceful man.

Ayogu also lauded the state government and security agencies for their prompt response and the positive steps taken so far to apprehend all the perpetrators.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Crime

Ex-Gang Leader Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis Goes on Trial Over 1996 Tupac Shakur Murder

Published

on

Ex-Gang Leader Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis Goes on Trial Over 1996 Tupac Shakur Murder—-Nearly 30 years after Tupac Shakur was killed in a Las Vegas drive-by shooting, Duane “Keffe D” Davis faces trial in the only criminal case brought in connection with the rap icon’s death.

Nearly three decades after Tupac Shakur was fatally shot in Las Vegas, the long-running mystery surrounding the rapper’s death is finally heading into a courtroom as former gang leader Duane “Keffe D” Davis goes on trial Monday.

Davis, 63, is charged with murder with a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang. He has pleaded not guilty. Jury selection is scheduled to begin in Clark County District Court, with the trial expected to last several weeks.

Prosecutors accuse Davis of helping orchestrate the September 1996 attack that killed Shakur. Authorities allege that Davis was involved in planning the retaliation after an earlier confrontation involving members of his South Side Compton Crips gang and Shakur’s entourage.

Davis has never been accused of personally pulling the trigger. Prosecutors instead contend that he helped organize the attack and supplied the firearm allegedly used in the shooting. The identity of the person who fired the fatal shots remains a central issue in the case.

Shakur was only 25 when he was shot while riding in a BMW driven by Death Row Records co-founder Marion “Suge” Knight following a Mike Tyson boxing match in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996. He died six days later from his injuries.

For years, the investigation produced no criminal charges. The case was revived after Davis made public comments about his alleged involvement, including accounts contained in his 2019 memoir, “Compton Street Legend,” as well as interviews and documentary appearances.

Those statements are expected to form a major part of the prosecution’s case. Prosecutors have acknowledged that Davis’ various accounts contain inconsistencies but argue that his statements nevertheless provide evidence of his role in the killing.

The defense, meanwhile, is expected to challenge the credibility and reliability of those statements. Davis’ lawyers have argued that portions of his memoir and other public accounts were exaggerated or inaccurate, setting up a trial in which the jury may have to determine which parts of Davis’ numerous accounts can be trusted.

The case also brings renewed attention to the bitter East Coast-West Coast rivalry that surrounded the hip-hop industry during the 1990s. Shakur was closely associated with Death Row Records, while the rivalry with Bad Boy Records and figures connected to the East Coast had become increasingly hostile.

Davis was arrested in September 2023 after investigators obtained a new indictment in the case, making him the only person ever charged in connection with Shakur’s murder. He has remained in custody since then.

The trial has attracted enormous public interest because of Shakur’s enduring influence on music and popular culture. The rapper sold tens of millions of records during his career and remains one of hip-hop’s most influential figures nearly three decades after his death.

Shakur’s family and supporters have spent years seeking answers over what happened that night in Las Vegas. The proceedings now offer prosecutors their first opportunity to present a complete criminal case before a jury.

However, the trial is not expected to resolve every unanswered question surrounding the murder. With the alleged gunman never charged and key witnesses from the 1996 era no longer available, prosecutors face the challenge of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that Davis was criminally responsible for the killing.

As jury selection begins Monday, the case enters a historic new chapter — nearly 30 years after one of hip-hop’s most enduring mysteries began.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Breaking

JUST IN: Seyi Makinde Receives Surveillance Aircraft to Strengthen State Security, Enhance Crime-Fighting Operations

Published

on

JUST IN: Seyi Makinde Receives Surveillance Aircraft to Strengthen State Security, Enhance Crime-Fighting Operations—-Governor Seyi Makinde says the advanced intelligence aircraft will strengthen security operations, enhance aerial surveillance and improve the fight against kidnapping, banditry and other crimes across Oyo State.

Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde has officially taken delivery of the state’s long-awaited surveillance aircraft, describing the acquisition as a major milestone in his administration’s efforts to strengthen security and protect lives and property across the state.

The aircraft, a Diamond DA42 MNG Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) platform, arrived after months of manufacturing and assembly, with the governor saying it would significantly enhance intelligence gathering and provide real-time aerial support for security agencies operating across Oyo’s vast terrain.

According to the state government, the surveillance aircraft is equipped with advanced imaging and reconnaissance technology capable of monitoring forests, border communities, mining sites and other remote locations frequently exploited by kidnappers, bandits and other criminal elements. Officials said the platform will complement ground operations by providing security agencies with actionable intelligence and improving rapid response capabilities.

Makinde noted that the aircraft forms part of a broader strategy to modernise Oyo State’s security architecture through technology-driven policing and closer collaboration with the Nigerian Air Force, Amotekun Corps and other security agencies. He explained that intelligence gathered from aerial surveillance would enable security operatives to track criminal movements more effectively and coordinate operations across difficult terrain.

The governor also revealed that the aircraft will play a critical role in monitoring the state’s borders with neighbouring states and the Republic of Benin, areas authorities have identified as vulnerable routes for criminal activities. Beyond security operations, the aircraft is expected to support disaster response, environmental monitoring and emergency management when required.

The acquisition comes amid heightened security concerns in Oyo State following recent incidents of kidnapping, including the abduction of pupils and teachers in Oriire Local Government Area. Makinde previously expressed regret that the surveillance aircraft was not operational during the rescue mission but said its deployment would greatly enhance future operations against criminal groups.

State officials disclosed that Oyo invested about ₦7.76 billion in procuring the surveillance aircraft as part of its long-term security strategy. The government believes the investment will improve intelligence-led policing, strengthen inter-agency cooperation and reinforce public confidence in efforts to tackle insecurity across the state.

Governor Makinde reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to deploying modern technology in safeguarding residents, stressing that security remains a top priority. He added that the aircraft would become fully operational immediately after final integration and testing, marking a new chapter in Oyo State’s fight against crime and insecurity.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Trending

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares