Connect with us
Isreal

Israel, Hamas Reach Gaza Ceasefire Ahead Of Trump’s Inauguration

More Videos

Published

on

Israel, Hamas Reach Gaza Ceasefire Ahead Of Trump’s Inauguration—-Thecloudngr reports that Israel and Hamas have agreed to a deal for a ceasefire and release of hostages being held in Gaza, following separate meetings with Qatar’s prime minister.

A US official confirmed the deal.

Pressure to put an end to the fighting had ratcheted up in recent days, as mediators – Qatar, Egypt and the United States – intensified efforts to cement an agreement.

A source close to the talks said Qatari Prime Minister, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim al-Thani, was meeting Hamas negotiators in his office for a final push to seal the deal.

The source, who briefed on the talks later, said the Gaza ceasefire and hostage release deal was reached, following the Qatari PM’s meeting with Hamas negotiators and, separately, Israeli negotiators in his office.

The announcement comes after months of failed bids to end the deadliest war in Gaza’s history, and days ahead of the inauguration of US president-elect Donald Trump, who immediately hailed the deal before it was officially announced by the White House.

Trump

“We have a deal for the hostages in the Middle East. They will be released shortly. Thank you!” Trump said on his Truth Social network.

Trump had warned Hamas of “hell to pay” if it did not free the remaining captives before he took office, and envoys from both his incoming administration and President Joe Biden’s outgoing one had been present at the latest negotiations.

Hamas sparked the war in Gaza by staging the deadliest-ever attack on Israel on October 7, 2023, resulting in the deaths of 1,210 people, mostly civilians, according to an official Israeli figures.

Palestinian militants also took 251 people hostage during the attack, 94 of whom are still being held in Gaza, including 34 the Israeli military says are dead.

Israel’s retaliatory campaign in Gaza has killed 46,707 people, most of them civilians, according to figures from the Hamas-run territory’s health ministry that the UN considers reliable.

Sticking points

Among the sticking points in successive rounds of talks had been disagreements over the permanence of any ceasefire, the withdrawal of Israeli troops and the scale of humanitarian aid for the Palestinian territory.

The UN’s Palestinian refugee agency, UNRWA, facing an Israeli ban on its activities set to take effect later this month, said it will continue providing much-needed aid.

Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, who vowed to crush Hamas in retaliation for the October 7 attack, has opposed any post-war role for the militant group in the territory.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Tuesday Israel would ultimately “have to accept reuniting Gaza and the West Bank under the leadership of a reformed” Palestinian Authority, and embrace a “path toward forming an independent Palestinian state”.

He added that the “best incentive” to achieve Israeli-Palestinian peace remained the prospect of normalisation between Israel and Saudi Arabia.

Palestinian PM

Palestinian prime minister Mohammed Mustafa, speaking in Oslo, said the latest push for a Gaza ceasefire showed international pressure on Israel “does pay off”.

The October 7 attack on communities in southern Israel sparked uproar around the world, as did the scale of the suffering in Gaza from the retaliatory war.

World powers and international organisations have for months pushed for a ceasefire, which up until today had remained elusive.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares

Crime

Ex-Gang Leader Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis Goes on Trial Over 1996 Tupac Shakur Murder

Published

on

Ex-Gang Leader Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis Goes on Trial Over 1996 Tupac Shakur Murder—-Nearly 30 years after Tupac Shakur was killed in a Las Vegas drive-by shooting, Duane “Keffe D” Davis faces trial in the only criminal case brought in connection with the rap icon’s death.

Nearly three decades after Tupac Shakur was fatally shot in Las Vegas, the long-running mystery surrounding the rapper’s death is finally heading into a courtroom as former gang leader Duane “Keffe D” Davis goes on trial Monday.

Davis, 63, is charged with murder with a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang. He has pleaded not guilty. Jury selection is scheduled to begin in Clark County District Court, with the trial expected to last several weeks.

Prosecutors accuse Davis of helping orchestrate the September 1996 attack that killed Shakur. Authorities allege that Davis was involved in planning the retaliation after an earlier confrontation involving members of his South Side Compton Crips gang and Shakur’s entourage.

Davis has never been accused of personally pulling the trigger. Prosecutors instead contend that he helped organize the attack and supplied the firearm allegedly used in the shooting. The identity of the person who fired the fatal shots remains a central issue in the case.

Shakur was only 25 when he was shot while riding in a BMW driven by Death Row Records co-founder Marion “Suge” Knight following a Mike Tyson boxing match in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996. He died six days later from his injuries.

For years, the investigation produced no criminal charges. The case was revived after Davis made public comments about his alleged involvement, including accounts contained in his 2019 memoir, “Compton Street Legend,” as well as interviews and documentary appearances.

Those statements are expected to form a major part of the prosecution’s case. Prosecutors have acknowledged that Davis’ various accounts contain inconsistencies but argue that his statements nevertheless provide evidence of his role in the killing.

The defense, meanwhile, is expected to challenge the credibility and reliability of those statements. Davis’ lawyers have argued that portions of his memoir and other public accounts were exaggerated or inaccurate, setting up a trial in which the jury may have to determine which parts of Davis’ numerous accounts can be trusted.

The case also brings renewed attention to the bitter East Coast-West Coast rivalry that surrounded the hip-hop industry during the 1990s. Shakur was closely associated with Death Row Records, while the rivalry with Bad Boy Records and figures connected to the East Coast had become increasingly hostile.

Davis was arrested in September 2023 after investigators obtained a new indictment in the case, making him the only person ever charged in connection with Shakur’s murder. He has remained in custody since then.

The trial has attracted enormous public interest because of Shakur’s enduring influence on music and popular culture. The rapper sold tens of millions of records during his career and remains one of hip-hop’s most influential figures nearly three decades after his death.

Shakur’s family and supporters have spent years seeking answers over what happened that night in Las Vegas. The proceedings now offer prosecutors their first opportunity to present a complete criminal case before a jury.

However, the trial is not expected to resolve every unanswered question surrounding the murder. With the alleged gunman never charged and key witnesses from the 1996 era no longer available, prosecutors face the challenge of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that Davis was criminally responsible for the killing.

As jury selection begins Monday, the case enters a historic new chapter — nearly 30 years after one of hip-hop’s most enduring mysteries began.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Sports

BREAKING: Lionel Messi’s Father Jorge Messi Dies at 68 After Long Illness

Published

on

BREAKING: Lionel Messi’s Father Jorge Messi Dies at 68 After Long Illness—-Jorge Messi, the longtime agent and father of Argentina and Inter Miami superstar Lionel Messi, has died in Rosario after battling an undisclosed illness.

Jorge Messi, the father and longtime representative of football superstar Lionel Messi, has died at the age of 68, bringing an end to the life of a man who played a central role in shaping one of the greatest careers in football history.

Jorge died on Friday night at a medical clinic in Rosario, Argentina, following a long illness, according to the Messi family and reports from Reuters and the Associated Press. His death comes less than two months after Lionel Messi and Argentina competed at the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

For decades, Jorge remained one of the most important figures behind his son’s extraordinary career. He served as Lionel’s agent from his teenage years and was closely involved in the major decisions that took the Argentine from a gifted youngster in Rosario to global football superstardom.

Born and raised in Argentina, Jorge worked in the steel industry before becoming heavily involved in his son’s football career. He supported Lionel from his earliest days at Newell’s Old Boys and later accompanied him when the young footballer travelled to Spain to pursue an opportunity with Barcelona’s famed La Masia academy.

That journey ultimately transformed the Messi family’s life. Lionel went on to become one of the most decorated players in football history, winning numerous domestic titles, Champions League trophies, individual awards and the 2022 World Cup with Argentina.

Jorge remained closely involved throughout that journey, handling much of his son’s professional representation and business affairs. He was involved in contract negotiations and major career moves, including Lionel’s departures from Barcelona and subsequent transfers to Paris Saint-Germain and Inter Miami.

The Messi family had previously asked the public and media to respect their privacy regarding Jorge’s health. In June, the family confirmed that he was receiving medical treatment for an undisclosed health condition after false reports about his death circulated during the World Cup.

Jorge’s illness also became an emotional backdrop to Lionel’s participation in the 2026 World Cup. The Argentina captain had spoken about personal difficulties surrounding his father’s condition during the tournament, with his family keeping details of the illness private.

News of Jorge’s death has prompted tributes from across the football world. Newell’s Old Boys, the Rosario club where Lionel began his youth career, expressed condolences and recognized Jorge’s importance to the Messi family’s connection with the club. CONMEBOL also joined the football community in mourning his passing.

Beyond being Lionel Messi’s representative, Jorge was remembered as a father who stood behind his son’s ambitions from childhood. His influence extended from the football pitches of Rosario to the biggest stadiums in Europe and the world, as he helped guide Lionel through the challenges that accompanied his extraordinary rise.

For Lionel Messi, the loss marks the passing of a deeply influential figure in both his personal and professional life. Jorge was not only the man who helped manage his son’s career but also one of the people who witnessed and supported the journey from a young boy with extraordinary potential to a World Cup-winning football icon.

Jorge Messi was 68. His legacy will remain closely connected to the remarkable story of his son and the extraordinary football career that followed their journey from Rosario to the global stage.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Trending

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares