Connect with us
Kano Police Arrest 2,931 Suspects

Kano Police Arrest 2,931 Suspects For Alleged Robbery, Kidnapping, Culpable Homicide In 2023

More Videos

Published

on

Kano Police Arrest 2,931 Suspects For Alleged Robbery, Kidnapping, Culpable Homicide In 2023—The Police Command in Kano State, said it arrested 2,931 suspects for alleged armed robbery, kidnapping, culpable homicide and other crimes  in different parts of the state in 2023.
The State Commissioner of Police, Mr Hussaini Gumel, disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kano on Saturday, adding that all the suspects were prosecuted.
He said that the crimes were committed in 44 local government area of the state.
He explained that operatives of the command arrested 337 suspected armed robbers, 55 suspected kidnappers, 65 suspected drug dealers and 68 suspected motor thieves.
Other suspects were nabbed for theft of tricycle and fraud while some were thugs (Yan dabas).
” We have also received a total of 662 repentant thugs and rescued 25 kidnapping and 63 trafficking victims within the year under review.
The Commissioner explained that the items recovered in the year included four AK rifles, one Barretta pistol, one anti-riot gunner, eight double barreled guns, two Makarov pistols, five English pistols, 53 locally made guns,12 Dane guns and 14 toy guns .
Other recoveries by the police included 83 ammunitions, 26 cartridges, 205 motor vehicles, 34 tricycles and 86 motor cycles, including 3079 mobile phones and 990 cartons of fake and expired drugs amongst others.
He said that the command dealt with phone snatchers that had been terrorizing residents in the metropolis.
He explained that the Area Commanders and Divisional Police Officers in the 44 local government areas were directed to beef up security architecture in their areas of supervision to curb the activities of  criminal elements.
He appealed for support and cooperation from members of the public to give them information that could aid in apprehending miscreants in their midst.
The Police commissioner assured that they were battle ready to confront any person or group of miscreants undermining the peaceful nature the state was known for.
He solicited the continued support and cooperation of residents of the state towards ensuring a more secured environment.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Crime

Ex-Gang Leader Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis Goes on Trial Over 1996 Tupac Shakur Murder

Published

on

Ex-Gang Leader Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis Goes on Trial Over 1996 Tupac Shakur Murder—-Nearly 30 years after Tupac Shakur was killed in a Las Vegas drive-by shooting, Duane “Keffe D” Davis faces trial in the only criminal case brought in connection with the rap icon’s death.

Nearly three decades after Tupac Shakur was fatally shot in Las Vegas, the long-running mystery surrounding the rapper’s death is finally heading into a courtroom as former gang leader Duane “Keffe D” Davis goes on trial Monday.

Davis, 63, is charged with murder with a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang. He has pleaded not guilty. Jury selection is scheduled to begin in Clark County District Court, with the trial expected to last several weeks.

Prosecutors accuse Davis of helping orchestrate the September 1996 attack that killed Shakur. Authorities allege that Davis was involved in planning the retaliation after an earlier confrontation involving members of his South Side Compton Crips gang and Shakur’s entourage.

Davis has never been accused of personally pulling the trigger. Prosecutors instead contend that he helped organize the attack and supplied the firearm allegedly used in the shooting. The identity of the person who fired the fatal shots remains a central issue in the case.

Shakur was only 25 when he was shot while riding in a BMW driven by Death Row Records co-founder Marion “Suge” Knight following a Mike Tyson boxing match in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996. He died six days later from his injuries.

For years, the investigation produced no criminal charges. The case was revived after Davis made public comments about his alleged involvement, including accounts contained in his 2019 memoir, “Compton Street Legend,” as well as interviews and documentary appearances.

Those statements are expected to form a major part of the prosecution’s case. Prosecutors have acknowledged that Davis’ various accounts contain inconsistencies but argue that his statements nevertheless provide evidence of his role in the killing.

The defense, meanwhile, is expected to challenge the credibility and reliability of those statements. Davis’ lawyers have argued that portions of his memoir and other public accounts were exaggerated or inaccurate, setting up a trial in which the jury may have to determine which parts of Davis’ numerous accounts can be trusted.

The case also brings renewed attention to the bitter East Coast-West Coast rivalry that surrounded the hip-hop industry during the 1990s. Shakur was closely associated with Death Row Records, while the rivalry with Bad Boy Records and figures connected to the East Coast had become increasingly hostile.

Davis was arrested in September 2023 after investigators obtained a new indictment in the case, making him the only person ever charged in connection with Shakur’s murder. He has remained in custody since then.

The trial has attracted enormous public interest because of Shakur’s enduring influence on music and popular culture. The rapper sold tens of millions of records during his career and remains one of hip-hop’s most influential figures nearly three decades after his death.

Shakur’s family and supporters have spent years seeking answers over what happened that night in Las Vegas. The proceedings now offer prosecutors their first opportunity to present a complete criminal case before a jury.

However, the trial is not expected to resolve every unanswered question surrounding the murder. With the alleged gunman never charged and key witnesses from the 1996 era no longer available, prosecutors face the challenge of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that Davis was criminally responsible for the killing.

As jury selection begins Monday, the case enters a historic new chapter — nearly 30 years after one of hip-hop’s most enduring mysteries began.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Breaking

JUST IN: Seyi Makinde Receives Surveillance Aircraft to Strengthen State Security, Enhance Crime-Fighting Operations

Published

on

JUST IN: Seyi Makinde Receives Surveillance Aircraft to Strengthen State Security, Enhance Crime-Fighting Operations—-Governor Seyi Makinde says the advanced intelligence aircraft will strengthen security operations, enhance aerial surveillance and improve the fight against kidnapping, banditry and other crimes across Oyo State.

Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde has officially taken delivery of the state’s long-awaited surveillance aircraft, describing the acquisition as a major milestone in his administration’s efforts to strengthen security and protect lives and property across the state.

The aircraft, a Diamond DA42 MNG Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) platform, arrived after months of manufacturing and assembly, with the governor saying it would significantly enhance intelligence gathering and provide real-time aerial support for security agencies operating across Oyo’s vast terrain.

According to the state government, the surveillance aircraft is equipped with advanced imaging and reconnaissance technology capable of monitoring forests, border communities, mining sites and other remote locations frequently exploited by kidnappers, bandits and other criminal elements. Officials said the platform will complement ground operations by providing security agencies with actionable intelligence and improving rapid response capabilities.

Makinde noted that the aircraft forms part of a broader strategy to modernise Oyo State’s security architecture through technology-driven policing and closer collaboration with the Nigerian Air Force, Amotekun Corps and other security agencies. He explained that intelligence gathered from aerial surveillance would enable security operatives to track criminal movements more effectively and coordinate operations across difficult terrain.

The governor also revealed that the aircraft will play a critical role in monitoring the state’s borders with neighbouring states and the Republic of Benin, areas authorities have identified as vulnerable routes for criminal activities. Beyond security operations, the aircraft is expected to support disaster response, environmental monitoring and emergency management when required.

The acquisition comes amid heightened security concerns in Oyo State following recent incidents of kidnapping, including the abduction of pupils and teachers in Oriire Local Government Area. Makinde previously expressed regret that the surveillance aircraft was not operational during the rescue mission but said its deployment would greatly enhance future operations against criminal groups.

State officials disclosed that Oyo invested about ₦7.76 billion in procuring the surveillance aircraft as part of its long-term security strategy. The government believes the investment will improve intelligence-led policing, strengthen inter-agency cooperation and reinforce public confidence in efforts to tackle insecurity across the state.

Governor Makinde reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to deploying modern technology in safeguarding residents, stressing that security remains a top priority. He added that the aircraft would become fully operational immediately after final integration and testing, marking a new chapter in Oyo State’s fight against crime and insecurity.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Trending

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares