Connect with us
Many Feared Dead In Benue

BREAKING: Many Feared Dead In Benue Amid Herdmen’s Attack

More Videos

Published

on

BREAKING: Many Feared Dead In Benue Amid Herdmen’s Attack—-About 200 persons, including Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs, and five soldiers, were feared dead in Friday night’s coordinated bloody attacks on Yelewata and Daudu communities in Guma Local Government Area, LGA, of Benue state by suspected terrorists herders.

The attack, which came days after the people of the area alleged received information of the impending coordinated attacks by marauders, left many others with varying degrees of injuries.

The invaders were said to have stormed the Yelewata in their numbers from two fronts and, after overpowering the youths and the Police personnel who stood up against them, opened fire on defenceless IDPs who were taking refuge in market stalls and the community members.

It was gathered that several families were killed and burnt in their houses and in the Yelewata market stall, with many of the victims being children and toddlers who were slaughtered like animals.

While the attack on Yelewata was ongoing, another set of marauders, also in their number, besieged Daudu, in the same Guma LGA, but they reportedly met a strong resistance by the youths and security personnel, leading to the unfortunate death of some of the security personnel.

A community leader in Yelewata and former acting Chairman of the Benue State Universal Basic Education Board, SUBEB, Mr. Matthew Mnyan, who held back emotions as he spoke, said it was another dark day for the people of Yelewata, Daudu, Guma LGA and the entire state.

He said: “It started last night at about 11 pm when Fulani terrorists came from the Western part of the Yelewata and started shooting. So the police men and young people who were there tried to engage them. Suddenly, another group came from the Eastern part of the community, and they overran those trying to resist them.

“They killed our people, poured petrol on the stalls in the market and burnt them.
In those stalls, we had people who moved from places like Branch Udei and people displaced from nearby villages, who slept in them because of the proximity of the Police and soldiers there. And we learnt no soldier came out to defend the people.

“As of now, from the names they are putting together, and the number of families and people that were burnt and killed are running to over 200 now. They killed and burned people in the houses. They will pour petrol and burn the whole place where people were sleeping. We had a family of 15, some families of 12, men with their two wives, children and every one of them burnt. It is a terrible sight.

“I have asked them to search for the families and put the names together because some have been burned to ashes. Those who were rushed to the hospital were up to 46. So far, I learnt that about 20 have died and we are still putting the reports together.”

He lamented that it was a planned, unprovoked attack, adding that “for over one week we received reports from Nasarawa state that the terrorists planned to attack Yelewata, Ukoho, Ortese, Yogbo and Daudu. So they are moving to attack these places simultaneously.

“Fortunately, that same day, the ones at Daudu were dislodged, and we learnt five soldiers and police personnel were killed sadly. From the information I received, I think one of them was of the rank of a Captain.

“We learnt more than 300 terrorists were camped close to Daudu.

“It is heartbreaking, everybody is aware that the people want to take over Benue state. There are no two ways about it. They only want to grab the land.

“If you go to the east side of Yelewata, Fulanis have taken over the land and given it to some of their people to be farming. And they do not want anybody to go there. So this is a planned issue that is being executed. It was a coordinated and well-organised attack, which is why some came from the eastern part and some from the western part to execute the attack to make sure they bring the place down.

“I cannot understand why innocent women, children and toddlers were murdered in cold blood. Children had their necks slitted and were killed like animals. I cannot understand it.

“We had wanted to move all the corpses to the road, but I recalled that there was a time we did that and three persons were killed by security personnel.”

Also, the President of the Association of United Farmers Benue Valley, AUFBV, Chief Dennis Gbongbon who also lamented the carnage, blamed it on those he called “Lakurawa bandits.”

Gbongbon said the association received the report of “the very disturbing security threat to Tiv farmers in Yelewata community of Guma LGA, as suspected Lakurawa bandits and herders killed over 62 Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs, and farmers and houses were burnt with families beyond imagination.

“The death toll shall rise as the search and rescue mission is on. Many were burned in stores. I am right here on the ground. 85 per cent of the victims are IDPs who ran from Antsa, Dooka, Kadarko, and Giza areas and took refuge in various stores in Yelewata market and among residents. Many have been hospitalised.”

According to him “the IDPs in Yelewata are still farmers. They only ran to take refuge there. While it is important to separate them, it would help us understand the deteriorating situation farmers are confronted with. Even having run from sacked homes to IDPs camp, terror still followed them unabated.”

Reacting, the Special Adviser to the Benue State Governor on Internal Security, Chief Joseph Har, who confirmed development, said, “I can not give an exact account of it because I am not there physically, but I am aware that this ugly thing happened yesterday in Yelwata and at the back of Daudu. They were two different attacks. I cannot give the exact numbers because I do not have the details.”

Meanwhile, a military source who preferred anonymity confirmed that two military personnel lost their lives in the attack.

He said, “We lost two military personnel in that attack, but I cannot tell you more than that.”

Reacting, the Benue State Police Command in a statement by its Public Relations Officer, Deputy Superintendent, DSP Udeme Edet confirmed the development but failed to state the casualty figure.

Part of the statement read “according to our information, it happened in the early hours of today, where suspected bandits invaded Yelwata town.

“The Police and Tactical Teams posted to the town and reinforcement responded swiftly to the attack and engaged the attackers in a fierce exchange, and some of the attackers were killed in the process.

“But it is with great sadness that we report that some individuals lost their lives and others sustained injuries.

“The Police, however, have not relented and are still in pursuit of the attackers and will continue to keep everyone safe.”

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Sports

BREAKING: Patrick Vieira Appointed New Senegal Head Coach as Teranga Lions Begin New Era

Published

on

BREAKING: Patrick Vieira Appointed New Senegal Head Coach as Teranga Lions Begin New Era—-The Dakar-born former France international takes his first national-team coaching role after Senegal parted ways with Pape Thiaw following their disappointing 2026 World Cup campaign.

Patrick Vieira has been appointed the new head coach of the Senegal national team, with the former France international taking charge of the Teranga Lions for the first time in his managerial career.

The Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) confirmed Vieira’s appointment on Tuesday, August 18, announcing that the 50-year-old will succeed Pape Thiaw, whose tenure ended following Senegal’s elimination from the 2026 FIFA World Cup. 

The appointment represents a major new chapter in Vieira’s coaching career and his first opportunity to manage a senior national team.

Vieira Returns to His Birth Country

Although Vieira represented France throughout his international career, including winning the 1998 FIFA World Cup and Euro 2000, he was born in Dakar, Senegal.

The former midfielder moved to France at the age of eight before developing into one of the country’s most celebrated footballers. He eventually earned 107 caps for Les Bleus and became an important figure in France’s golden generation.

His connection to Senegal makes the appointment particularly significant as he now returns to lead the country’s senior national team.

Replacing Pape Thiaw

Vieira takes over after Thiaw was removed from his position following Senegal’s disappointing World Cup campaign.

The Teranga Lions were eliminated in the round of 32 after surrendering a 2–0 lead against Belgium before eventually losing 3–2 in extra time. The result brought an early end to Senegal’s World Cup ambitions and contributed to the decision to make a change in the dugout.

The FSF subsequently turned to Vieira as it looks to begin a new era.

First National-Team Job for Vieira

Vieira arrives with considerable experience in club management but has never previously managed a senior international side.

He began his coaching career with Manchester City’s youth setup before taking charge of New York City FC in MLS. He later managed French side Nice, Premier League club Crystal Palace, Strasbourg and Italian club Genoa.

His appointment therefore presents a new challenge for the former Arsenal captain, who must now translate his club-management experience to the international stage.

AFCON 2027 Qualification Awaits

Vieira’s first major task will be preparing Senegal for the next international window and the country’s qualification campaign for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations.

Senegal are the reigning African champions and will be expected to remain among the continent’s leading teams under their new manager. The AFCON qualifiers are scheduled to begin as early as September.

The appointment also gives Vieira an opportunity to build a team capable of competing for another continental title while establishing a long-term project with the national side.

A New Chapter for Senegal

For Senegal, Vieira’s appointment represents both a change in leadership and an attempt to reset after a disappointing World Cup.

For Vieira, it is a chance to manage the country of his birth and take charge of a talented generation of Senegalese players.

The FSF said further details concerning Vieira’s official presentation and the next steps in his installation will be announced later.

The man who lifted the World Cup with France in 1998 will now attempt to lead Senegal to continental and international success — beginning with the Teranga Lions’ new era under Patrick Vieira.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Sports

JUST IN: Maresca Suffers Arsenal Defeat Again as Manchester City Lose Community Shield 3–0

Published

on

JUST IN: Maresca Suffers Arsenal Defeat Again as Manchester City Lose  Community Shield3–0—-Enzo Maresca’s competitive debut as Manchester City manager ends in disappointment as Arsenal cruise to victory in Cardiff and lift the Community Shield.

Enzo Maresca’s first competitive match in charge of Manchester City ended in a nightmare as Arsenal swept aside the FA Cup holders 3–0 to claim the 2026 Community Shield at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

The defeat means Maresca has suffered another setback against Arsenal, having previously faced the Gunners during his time at Chelsea. But this loss will carry particular significance, coming in his first competitive game since taking over from Pep Guardiola at City.

Calafiori Strikes Inside 24 Seconds

Arsenal needed less than a minute to take control.

Riccardo Calafiori opened the scoring after just 24 seconds, finishing from Myles Lewis-Skelly’s delivery to give Mikel Arteta’s side a dream start. It was reported as the fastest Community Shield goal in 58 years.

The early goal immediately put City under pressure and gave Arsenal confidence as they looked to exploit the uncertainty surrounding Maresca’s new-look side.

Havertz Doubles Arsenal’s Lead

Arsenal continued to dominate and eventually doubled their advantage in the 28th minute.

Kai Havertz found the net after goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma failed to deal convincingly with the situation, leaving Arsenal with a commanding 2–0 lead before half-time.

City struggled to generate a sustained attacking response, with Arsenal’s defensive organisation limiting the opportunities available to Erling Haaland and Phil Foden.

Ødegaard Completes the Rout

The Gunners completed the victory early in the second half when captain Martin Ødegaard added a third goal.

Christos Tzolis was involved in another Arsenal attacking move, while Ødegaard produced a composed finish to effectively put the contest beyond City’s reach.

Arsenal’s defence then held firm to preserve a clean sheet and secure a convincing victory.

A Nightmare Start for Maresca

The result could hardly have been more difficult for Maresca.

The Italian was appointed as Guardiola’s successor after City entered a new era following the Spaniard’s departure. The Community Shield represented Maresca’s first competitive opportunity to demonstrate that he could lead the club back to the top of English football.

Instead, Arsenal exposed several weaknesses in his team, particularly in defensive organisation and their ability to control the match after falling behind.

Maresca had previously said one of his ambitions at City was to close the gap on Arsenal, who finished as Premier League champions last season. His first competitive meeting with the Gunners therefore provided an immediate test of that ambition.

Arsenal Send Early Warning

For Arteta and Arsenal, the victory provides an early statement ahead of the new Premier League campaign.

The Gunners looked sharp, aggressive and confident, while their new additions and returning players fitted smoothly into Arteta’s system.

The Community Shield does not determine the Premier League title race, but Arsenal’s performance will undoubtedly strengthen belief among their supporters that the champions are ready to defend their crown and compete for further silverware.

For Maresca, however, there is now plenty of work to do.

Manchester City’s new era has begun with a heavy defeat, while Arsenal have already sent a clear message to their rivals: they are ready for another fight at the top.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Trending

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares