Connect with us
Coup Attempt Rocks Chad

JUST IN: 19 People Killed As Coup Attempt Rocks Chad [DETAILS]

More Videos

Published

on

JUST IN: 19 People Killed As Coup Attempt Rocks Chad [DETAILS]—-Gunmen attempted to storm the presidential complex in Chad’s capital N’Djamena on Wednesday, sparking a battle that left 18 attackers and one security personnel member dead, the government said.

Agence France-Pressse reporters heard gunfire near the site and saw tanks on the street, while security sources reported that armed men had tried to overrun the complex.

The government later said 19 people were killed in the fighting, of which 18 were members of the 24-strong commando unit that launched the assault.

“There were 18 dead and six injured” among the attackers “and we suffered one death and three injured, one of them seriously”, government spokesman and Foreign Minister Abderaman Koulamallah said.

Hours after the shooting, Koulamallah appeared in a video posted to Facebook, surrounded by soldiers and with a gun on his belt, saying “the situation is completely under control … the destabilisation attempt was put down”.

A security source said the attackers were members of the Boko Haram jihadist group, but Koulamallah later said they were “probably not” terrorists, describing them as drunken “Pieds Nickeles” – a reference to a French comic featuring hapless crooks.

He said they attacked four guards before entering the presidential complex, where they were “easily overpowered”, adding the surviving assailants were “completely drugged”.

Wednesday’s events coincided with an official visit by China Foreign Minister Wang Yi to Chad, which recently ended a defence cooperation pact with long-time partner France that had made it a key Western ally in the fight against Islamic militants in West and Central Africa’s troubled Sahel region.

Landlocked Chad is under military rule and faces regular attacks by Boko Haram, especially in the western Lake Chad region that borders Cameroon, Nigeria and Niger.

Several security sources said that an armed commando unit opened fire inside the presidency on Wednesday evening around 7.45pm, before being overrun by the presidential guard.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and Chad’s President Mahamat Idriss Deby Itno. Photo: Xinhua

All roads leading to the presidency were blocked and tanks could be seen on the streets, according to an Agence France-Presse reporter at the scene.

As civilians rushed out of the city centre in cars and motorcycles, armed police were seen at several points in the district.

Hours before the shoot-out, China’s Wang met with President Mahamat Idriss Deby Itno and other senior officials.

Deby was in the complex at the time of the attack, according to Koulamallah.

The former French colony hosted France’s last military bases in the region known as the Sahel, but at the end of November, Chad ended defence and security agreements with Paris, calling them “obsolete”.

Around a thousand French military personnel were stationed in the country and are in the process of being withdrawn.

France was previously driven out of three Sahelian countries governed by juntas hostile to Paris – Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger.

Senegal and Ivory Coast have also asked France to vacate military bases on their territory.

The gunfire erupted less than two weeks after Chad held a contested general election that the government hailed as a key step towards ending military rule, but that was marked by low turnout and opposition allegations of fraud.

A call by the opposition for voters to boycott the polls left the field open for candidates aligned with the president, who was brought to power by the military in 2021 and then legitimised in a May presidential election that opposition candidates denounced as fraudulent.

Deby took power after the death of his father, who had ruled the country with an iron fist for three decades.

The desert country is an oil producer but ranked fourth from bottom in the United Nations Human Development Index.

To consolidate his grip on power, Deby has reshuffled the army, historically dominated by the Zaghawas and Gorane, his mother’s ethnic group.

On the diplomatic front, he has sought new strategic partnerships, including with Russia and Hungary.

Additional reporting by Reuters

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Sports

BREAKING: Patrick Vieira Appointed New Senegal Head Coach as Teranga Lions Begin New Era

Published

on

BREAKING: Patrick Vieira Appointed New Senegal Head Coach as Teranga Lions Begin New Era—-The Dakar-born former France international takes his first national-team coaching role after Senegal parted ways with Pape Thiaw following their disappointing 2026 World Cup campaign.

Patrick Vieira has been appointed the new head coach of the Senegal national team, with the former France international taking charge of the Teranga Lions for the first time in his managerial career.

The Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) confirmed Vieira’s appointment on Tuesday, August 18, announcing that the 50-year-old will succeed Pape Thiaw, whose tenure ended following Senegal’s elimination from the 2026 FIFA World Cup. 

The appointment represents a major new chapter in Vieira’s coaching career and his first opportunity to manage a senior national team.

Vieira Returns to His Birth Country

Although Vieira represented France throughout his international career, including winning the 1998 FIFA World Cup and Euro 2000, he was born in Dakar, Senegal.

The former midfielder moved to France at the age of eight before developing into one of the country’s most celebrated footballers. He eventually earned 107 caps for Les Bleus and became an important figure in France’s golden generation.

His connection to Senegal makes the appointment particularly significant as he now returns to lead the country’s senior national team.

Replacing Pape Thiaw

Vieira takes over after Thiaw was removed from his position following Senegal’s disappointing World Cup campaign.

The Teranga Lions were eliminated in the round of 32 after surrendering a 2–0 lead against Belgium before eventually losing 3–2 in extra time. The result brought an early end to Senegal’s World Cup ambitions and contributed to the decision to make a change in the dugout.

The FSF subsequently turned to Vieira as it looks to begin a new era.

First National-Team Job for Vieira

Vieira arrives with considerable experience in club management but has never previously managed a senior international side.

He began his coaching career with Manchester City’s youth setup before taking charge of New York City FC in MLS. He later managed French side Nice, Premier League club Crystal Palace, Strasbourg and Italian club Genoa.

His appointment therefore presents a new challenge for the former Arsenal captain, who must now translate his club-management experience to the international stage.

AFCON 2027 Qualification Awaits

Vieira’s first major task will be preparing Senegal for the next international window and the country’s qualification campaign for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations.

Senegal are the reigning African champions and will be expected to remain among the continent’s leading teams under their new manager. The AFCON qualifiers are scheduled to begin as early as September.

The appointment also gives Vieira an opportunity to build a team capable of competing for another continental title while establishing a long-term project with the national side.

A New Chapter for Senegal

For Senegal, Vieira’s appointment represents both a change in leadership and an attempt to reset after a disappointing World Cup.

For Vieira, it is a chance to manage the country of his birth and take charge of a talented generation of Senegalese players.

The FSF said further details concerning Vieira’s official presentation and the next steps in his installation will be announced later.

The man who lifted the World Cup with France in 1998 will now attempt to lead Senegal to continental and international success — beginning with the Teranga Lions’ new era under Patrick Vieira.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Sports

JUST IN: Maresca Suffers Arsenal Defeat Again as Manchester City Lose Community Shield 3–0

Published

on

JUST IN: Maresca Suffers Arsenal Defeat Again as Manchester City Lose  Community Shield3–0—-Enzo Maresca’s competitive debut as Manchester City manager ends in disappointment as Arsenal cruise to victory in Cardiff and lift the Community Shield.

Enzo Maresca’s first competitive match in charge of Manchester City ended in a nightmare as Arsenal swept aside the FA Cup holders 3–0 to claim the 2026 Community Shield at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

The defeat means Maresca has suffered another setback against Arsenal, having previously faced the Gunners during his time at Chelsea. But this loss will carry particular significance, coming in his first competitive game since taking over from Pep Guardiola at City.

Calafiori Strikes Inside 24 Seconds

Arsenal needed less than a minute to take control.

Riccardo Calafiori opened the scoring after just 24 seconds, finishing from Myles Lewis-Skelly’s delivery to give Mikel Arteta’s side a dream start. It was reported as the fastest Community Shield goal in 58 years.

The early goal immediately put City under pressure and gave Arsenal confidence as they looked to exploit the uncertainty surrounding Maresca’s new-look side.

Havertz Doubles Arsenal’s Lead

Arsenal continued to dominate and eventually doubled their advantage in the 28th minute.

Kai Havertz found the net after goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma failed to deal convincingly with the situation, leaving Arsenal with a commanding 2–0 lead before half-time.

City struggled to generate a sustained attacking response, with Arsenal’s defensive organisation limiting the opportunities available to Erling Haaland and Phil Foden.

Ødegaard Completes the Rout

The Gunners completed the victory early in the second half when captain Martin Ødegaard added a third goal.

Christos Tzolis was involved in another Arsenal attacking move, while Ødegaard produced a composed finish to effectively put the contest beyond City’s reach.

Arsenal’s defence then held firm to preserve a clean sheet and secure a convincing victory.

A Nightmare Start for Maresca

The result could hardly have been more difficult for Maresca.

The Italian was appointed as Guardiola’s successor after City entered a new era following the Spaniard’s departure. The Community Shield represented Maresca’s first competitive opportunity to demonstrate that he could lead the club back to the top of English football.

Instead, Arsenal exposed several weaknesses in his team, particularly in defensive organisation and their ability to control the match after falling behind.

Maresca had previously said one of his ambitions at City was to close the gap on Arsenal, who finished as Premier League champions last season. His first competitive meeting with the Gunners therefore provided an immediate test of that ambition.

Arsenal Send Early Warning

For Arteta and Arsenal, the victory provides an early statement ahead of the new Premier League campaign.

The Gunners looked sharp, aggressive and confident, while their new additions and returning players fitted smoothly into Arteta’s system.

The Community Shield does not determine the Premier League title race, but Arsenal’s performance will undoubtedly strengthen belief among their supporters that the champions are ready to defend their crown and compete for further silverware.

For Maresca, however, there is now plenty of work to do.

Manchester City’s new era has begun with a heavy defeat, while Arsenal have already sent a clear message to their rivals: they are ready for another fight at the top.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Trending

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares