Connect with us

Published

on

Tension in Enugu as Hoodlums Storm Secondary School Over Traditional Leadership Rivalry—-Tension intensified in Mburubu Community, Nkanu East Local Government Area of Enugu State on Friday, December 5, 2025, after suspected hoodlums invaded the Community Secondary School, vandalising several classrooms in an attack residents described as deliberate and politically motivated.

The incident is the latest in a series of violent episodes linked to the protracted crisis over traditional rulership that has sharply divided the community.

For months, fear has mounted among villagers who allege that coordinated attacks by armed young men are being sponsored by the Enugu State Commissioner for Science and Technology, Engr. Lawrence Ezeh.

According to residents, the violence deepened as disputes over traditional leadership escalated, evolving into what many call a “campaign of intimidation” against perceived opponents of the commissioner’s political structure.

SaharaReporters visited the community on a fact-finding mission, during which residents appealed for swift government intervention.

During the visit, villagers accused the commissioner of empowering and arming groups of young men to influence local leadership dynamics, allegations he firmly denied.

Despite the denials, residents insist that the attackers are his loyalists, claiming many had worked closely with him in Port Harcourt before being relocated to Mburubu.

The growing unrest prompted earlier security operations involving operatives of the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) unit of the Nigeria Police Force.

SaharaReporters gathered that several suspects confessed during police interrogation to being sponsored by the Commissioner, reinforcing long-held suspicions within the community.

Residents say the confessions validate their claims that the violence is orchestrated rather than spontaneous.

The situation deteriorated further after some villagers spoke to journalists about their experiences.

Not long after the reports were published, residents said the hoodlums returned to the village, allegedly targeting the children of those who had granted interviews.

Attack On School By Intruders

Witnesses alleged that the armed hoodlums stormed the Community Secondary School during school hours, causing panic among students and teachers.

According to residents, the intruders destroyed over 30 school items, including desks, chairs, and learning materials, leaving pupils traumatised and staff distressed.

Those present during the invasion identified the attackers as Okonkwo Solomon, Okonkwo Philemon, Chukwu Simon, Chinedu, Isaac, Joshua, and Onyedika, individuals widely known in the community.

Villagers allege that the group is closely connected to political actors fanning the crisis.

They further accused the local Neighbourhood Watch chairman of mobilising the attackers under pressure from the commissioner.

During the visit by SaharaReporters, several residents expressed frustration and helplessness over the repeated attacks.

Some of the residents who spoke on condition of anonymity expressed fear over what they described as constant attacks allegedly sponsored by prominent individuals in the community, people they said should have been protecting them instead.

Many parents said their children now return home from school fearful and unsettled, uncertain whether another assault might occur.

Others lamented that despite reporting the incidents to authorities, no effective measures have been taken to halt the growing insecurity.

‘Threats To Withdraw Scholarship’

A resident who simply identified herself as Mrs Chioma said, “My daughter’s locker and chair were destroyed.

“She had been enjoying a scholarship from Prince Ezeh, but since I started supporting Igwe Onuokaibe, we have been living in fear because of the constant attacks on us.

“I also heard that his boys threatened that the scholarship had been terminated because I granted an interview. I don’t have a problem with that, as long as we can have peace.”

Also, another resident who simply identified himself as an Engineer said, “On Saturday, Nkwo market day, I returned from Nara, where I live and saw a boy, the son of Christopher, popularly known as Snake, carrying a locker that had been smashed with an axe.

“He was crying. I asked what happened, and he told me that the school was attacked on Friday.

“He said he escaped during the attack, and when he returned to pick up his locker after finishing exams, he found it destroyed.

“I immediately went to the school and saw that many lockers had been damaged and some windows removed.

“I recorded a video and left. Ebuka Amanato was with me when this happened, and we have been trying to reach the principal since then.”

Police Confirm School Attack

The Area Commander of the Nigeria Police Force in Agbani confirmed the school attack, stating that an investigation was ongoing.

He acknowledged that many of the identified suspects had been linked to previous unrest but explained that they fled the area immediately after the latest assault.

He assured that efforts were being intensified to track them down, although residents remain doubtful about the likelihood of arrests.

He said, “Some residents of the community, including the President of the Mburubu General Assembly, came and made a formal report. We are in touch with them as we investigate the matter.

“Many suspects have already been identified, and we have attempted to arrest them, but they have been on the run.”

Also, the principal of the School, Mrs Joy Chibuko, confirmed the attack and the resulting disruptions.

“I heard about the attack last week, but I have been away for some time now. My daughter gave birth, and I travelled to visit her,” Chibuko said.

She explained that she had been away for family reasons following the birth of her grandchild, but that the school authorities had formally notified relevant bodies.

She expressed concern over the atmosphere of fear now pervading the school, saying it has hindered both teaching and learning.

When asked about security arrangements in the school, the principal said, “We used to have a security officer in the school, but he no longer works here.”

Community elders and residents called on Governor Peter Mbah’s administration and security agencies to intervene decisively before the violence spirals out of control.

They warned that if the underlying political tensions remain unaddressed and perpetrators continue to act with impunity, the situation could further deteriorate, threatening more lives and destabilising the already fragile community.

SaharaReporters contacted the Commissioner for reaction and comments on the attack, through a phone number he personally provided, but as of the time of filing this report, Ezeh has not responded to a message sent to him.

0Shares
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Sports

BREAKING: Chelsea Appoint Xabi Alonso as New Head Coach on Four-Year Deal

Published

on

Chelsea Appoint Xabi Alonso as New Head Coach
BREAKING: Chelsea Appoint Xabi Alonso as New Head Coach on Four-Year Deal—-Former midfield maestro arrives at Stamford Bridge after impressive rise in management.

Chelsea FC have officially confirmed the appointment of Xabi Alonso as the club’s new manager on a four-year contract.

The Spaniard is expected to begin his role at Stamford Bridge on July 1, 2026, as Chelsea look to rebuild after another turbulent campaign.

Chelsea announced the appointment on the club’s official website, describing Alonso as one of the most respected figures in modern football following his rapid rise in management.

Alonso arrives in London with a growing reputation after successful spells with Bayer 04 Leverkusen and Real Madrid. He gained widespread praise for leading Leverkusen to an unbeaten Bundesliga-winning campaign and a domestic double during the 2023/24 season.

The 44-year-old replaces Liam Rosenior following Chelsea’s disappointing season, which included defeat in the FA Cup final and inconsistent Premier League form.

Reports suggest Chelsea’s hierarchy see Alonso as the ideal figure to bring stability, tactical identity, and long-term direction to the club after several managerial changes in recent years.

Speaking after the announcement, Alonso expressed excitement about the challenge ahead and said he is determined to build a competitive team capable of fighting for major honours once again.

The appointment also marks Alonso’s return to English football, having previously enjoyed a successful playing career with Liverpool FC, where he won the UEFA Champions League and FA Cup.

Chelsea supporters will now hope the former midfield maestro can restore the club’s identity and guide the Blues back into contention both domestically and in Europe.

0Shares
Continue Reading

Breaking

BREAKING: FA Cup Triumph for Manchester City After Narrow Win Over Chelsea

Published

on

FA Cup Triumph for Manchester City

BREAKING: FA Cup Triumph for Manchester City After Narrow Win Over Chelsea—-Semenyo’s second-half winner seals Wembley triumph as Guardiola’s side lift another major trophy

Manchester City defeated Chelsea FC 1-0 at Wembley to win the 2026 FA Cup, thanks to a moment of brilliance from Antoine Semenyo.

The tightly contested final remained goalless for much of the afternoon before Semenyo broke the deadlock in the 72nd minute with a clever backheel finish from an Erling Haaland cross.

The victory handed City their eighth FA Cup title and completed a domestic cup double for manager Pep Guardiola after already securing the League Cup earlier in the season.

Chelsea showed flashes of promise and created a few dangerous moments, but the Blues struggled to convert their opportunities. Enzo Fernández and João Pedro both went close, while City goalkeeper James Trafford remained composed when called upon.

The match also saw late drama as Chelsea pushed for an equaliser in stoppage time, but Guardiola’s side held firm to secure the trophy.

The result extends Chelsea’s difficult record in domestic cup finals, with the Blues now losing seven consecutive appearances in such showpiece matches.

For City, however, the triumph further reinforces their dominance in English football and keeps alive hopes of ending the campaign with even more silverware.

0Shares
Continue Reading

Trending

0Shares