Connect with us
UN Commends NAN For Operational Standards

UN Commends NAN For Operational Standards, Resilience

More Videos

Published

on

UN Commends NAN For Operational Standards, Resilience—-The United Nations Organisation (UNO) has lauded the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) for its resilience and operational standards among its peers in Africa.

Mr Ronald Kayanja, Director of the UN Information Centre (UNIC) Nigeria, gave the commendation during his official visit to the Managing Director of the agency, Malam Ali Muhammad Ali, on Tuesday in Abuja.

Kayanja expressed his deep regards for the agency’s factual and credible reportage of news.

“I have a lot of respect for NAN because not many news agencies have survived modern operations.

“As you know, we have even been battling to have the Pan-African news agency with a bit of difficulty but NAN has survived.

“Talking about the Multimedia, I am so happy about the way you have now added the element of video, photography and your online presence as that is really the way to go.

“As you know, the newspaper is having problems, we have to adapt.

“One of my first priorities in the morning is to know what’s going on in the country, so I read papers.

“I always see stories from NAN and this shows you are really doing a great job, including our own (UN) coverage.

“I see a lot of UN, NAN (stories) and I am just told that you have correspondents even at the UN headquarters.”

The UNIC Director congratulated the agency for its feats and the great work it is doing in sustaining factual and credible reportage in the era of digital media operations amidst inadequate technological work tools and other equipment.

“The evolution of journalism with the coming of the digital media and the challenges therein are not new; but for you to still be working, really, I commend you.

“I commend the adaptability that you have in the work you do and the quality.

“You have an idea of what is going on in Nigeria, on issues that are going on; NAN usually is our source.

“You tend to have many things, many aspects of life. That, really, is useful, that is why I am here.

“I am here to show our gratitude for the kind of work that you do, to try and see that we work a bit more closely together.

“The UNIC is part of the UN Secretariat’s Department of Global Communications and so our work, as you can hear, is information.

“Therefore, you are people that we should work with; we have been working with you and so I am grateful that you are here.

“I want us to work even more closely together.

“There is an initiative; there are a number of initiatives, but there is one initiative I want to introduce to you and that is the one on SDGs,” Kayanja said.

Responding, the NAN MD, attributed the agency’s success to its ability to evolve and calibre of personnel.

Ali noted that the agency was established by an Act in 1976 and, thereafter, commenced full operations in 1978.

“NAN was conceived to be the biggest news content provider on the continent of Africa at the onset of its operations.

“We had 11 foreign offices, we still have an office in New York; we are the only resident news agency for the West Coast in the UN right now.

“So we have an office in New York, we have in South Africa- in Johannesburg, Abidjan, Ethiopia, Moscow and the UK; out of all the 11 foreign offices, some are still operational.

“We thank you for your very kind words about the resilience of the news agency which has stood the test of time.

“The Pan-African News Agency is now in the graveyard of history.

“We’ve demonstrated this amazing staying-power because we tried to evolve over time, we repositioned; as contemporary challenges face us, we also reposition.

“Only last week, we returned from a week-long editorial management retreat to see how we are going to confront the impending challenges of the dawn of AI; how social media has given rise to the integrity of news sources and stories.”

Ali expressed the willingness to work closely with notable global agencies to achieve more meaningful results.

“We have a reporter stationed to cover your office, to cover the UN; so we will like to have further conversations around some of these things, especially on sustainable development.

“In NAN, we are concerned, we are focused largely on developmental and solution journalism.

“By law, we are not allowed to report subjectively or inequitably; these are luxuries we cannot afford.

“Over the years, we have come to be trusted. We rely on that believability associated with us and it has become our selling point.

“We want you to actually know, unless you see it in NAN, it cannot be true.

“This is why, over time with pressure posed by social media to break the news, we do it the good old ways- cross-check, cross-reference- before we publish.

“We may be slow but we are factual as opposed to the social media’s free-for-all.

“Our reporters are highly trained, our gatekeepers are equally experienced.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

News

686 Days and Counting: Hull Loss Keeps Man United Fan Away From the Barber

Published

on

686 Days and Counting: Hull Loss Keeps Man United Fan Away From the Barber—-Frank Ilett’s bizarre haircut challenge has entered another chapter after Manchester United’s 2–0 defeat to Hull City extended his wait for a five-match winning streak.

For most football fans, a disappointing result means a few hours of frustration before attention turns to the next match.

For Frank Ilett, a Manchester United defeat means something rather different: another few weeks with the same haircut.

Ilett has now reached 686 days without cutting his hair, as his unusual challenge continues following United’s shock 2–0 defeat to newly promoted Hull City at the MKM Stadium.

The challenge began in October 2024, when Ilett decided he would not cut his hair until Manchester United recorded five consecutive victories. What started as a light-hearted challenge has since turned into a remarkable test of patience.

And he is still waiting.

Hull Put Another Hold on the Challenge

There had been renewed optimism that Ilett might finally be getting closer to a haircut after United ended last season with back-to-back victories.

A win over Hull would have given them a third consecutive victory and kept the possibility of reaching the required five-match run alive.

Instead, the newly promoted Tigers produced a memorable performance, beating United 2–0 in front of their home supporters.

Semi Ajayi opened the scoring before Nobel Mendy doubled Hull’s advantage, both goals arriving in the first half.

The result brought United’s winning momentum to an abrupt end — and ensured Ilett’s hair would continue growing.

“This Was Meant to Be One of the Easier Games”

Speaking after the defeat, Ilett admitted that he had expected a very different outcome.

He had viewed the trip to Hull as one of the more manageable fixtures on United’s schedule and was clearly disappointed by the manner of the defeat.

The fan also criticised United’s performance, suggesting that Hull showed greater urgency and desire throughout the contest.

For Ilett, however, the consequences extend beyond the league table.

Every defeat means another delay.

A Challenge That Has Lasted Nearly Two Years

Ilett began his challenge after United’s most recent five-game winning run, which came between January and February 2024.

Since then, the club have failed to produce the sequence required to send him to the barber.

Nearly two years later, the challenge has become an internet curiosity among Manchester United supporters, many of whom have followed the progress of his increasingly lengthy hairstyle.

The latest defeat means the earliest Ilett could potentially complete the challenge is September 20, but only if United win their next five matches.

Those fixtures include meetings with Ipswich Town, Everton, Manchester City, Fulham and their opening Champions League league-phase opponent.

One slip-up would mean the challenge continues.

United’s Results Decide the Fate of His Hair

While United’s immediate concern will be recovering from their disappointing start to the campaign, Ilett will once again be watching every result with a very different interest.

For the players, five consecutive victories would mean momentum and points.

For Ilett, it would finally mean a trip to the barber.

Until then, the scissors remain untouched.

Day 686 has come and gone — and Frank Ilett’s Manchester United-inspired haircut challenge continues

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Sports

BREAKING: Patrick Vieira Appointed New Senegal Head Coach as Teranga Lions Begin New Era

Published

on

BREAKING: Patrick Vieira Appointed New Senegal Head Coach as Teranga Lions Begin New Era—-The Dakar-born former France international takes his first national-team coaching role after Senegal parted ways with Pape Thiaw following their disappointing 2026 World Cup campaign.

Patrick Vieira has been appointed the new head coach of the Senegal national team, with the former France international taking charge of the Teranga Lions for the first time in his managerial career.

The Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) confirmed Vieira’s appointment on Tuesday, August 18, announcing that the 50-year-old will succeed Pape Thiaw, whose tenure ended following Senegal’s elimination from the 2026 FIFA World Cup. 

The appointment represents a major new chapter in Vieira’s coaching career and his first opportunity to manage a senior national team.

Vieira Returns to His Birth Country

Although Vieira represented France throughout his international career, including winning the 1998 FIFA World Cup and Euro 2000, he was born in Dakar, Senegal.

The former midfielder moved to France at the age of eight before developing into one of the country’s most celebrated footballers. He eventually earned 107 caps for Les Bleus and became an important figure in France’s golden generation.

His connection to Senegal makes the appointment particularly significant as he now returns to lead the country’s senior national team.

Replacing Pape Thiaw

Vieira takes over after Thiaw was removed from his position following Senegal’s disappointing World Cup campaign.

The Teranga Lions were eliminated in the round of 32 after surrendering a 2–0 lead against Belgium before eventually losing 3–2 in extra time. The result brought an early end to Senegal’s World Cup ambitions and contributed to the decision to make a change in the dugout.

The FSF subsequently turned to Vieira as it looks to begin a new era.

First National-Team Job for Vieira

Vieira arrives with considerable experience in club management but has never previously managed a senior international side.

He began his coaching career with Manchester City’s youth setup before taking charge of New York City FC in MLS. He later managed French side Nice, Premier League club Crystal Palace, Strasbourg and Italian club Genoa.

His appointment therefore presents a new challenge for the former Arsenal captain, who must now translate his club-management experience to the international stage.

AFCON 2027 Qualification Awaits

Vieira’s first major task will be preparing Senegal for the next international window and the country’s qualification campaign for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations.

Senegal are the reigning African champions and will be expected to remain among the continent’s leading teams under their new manager. The AFCON qualifiers are scheduled to begin as early as September.

The appointment also gives Vieira an opportunity to build a team capable of competing for another continental title while establishing a long-term project with the national side.

A New Chapter for Senegal

For Senegal, Vieira’s appointment represents both a change in leadership and an attempt to reset after a disappointing World Cup.

For Vieira, it is a chance to manage the country of his birth and take charge of a talented generation of Senegalese players.

The FSF said further details concerning Vieira’s official presentation and the next steps in his installation will be announced later.

The man who lifted the World Cup with France in 1998 will now attempt to lead Senegal to continental and international success — beginning with the Teranga Lions’ new era under Patrick Vieira.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Trending

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares