Connect with us
Yahaya Bello

Yahaya Bello: Anti-Corruption CSOs alert FG, public to imminent threats to ex-Gov’s life

More Videos

Published

on

Yahaya Bello: Anti-Corruption CSOs alert FG, public to imminent threats to ex-Gov’s life—Hundreds of human rights activists, on Saturday, hit the streets of Lagos to condemn what they described as the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission’s antidemocratic approaches to issues of law enforcement as well as unjust application of state power by the Federal Government.

The Anti-Corruption Civil Society Organisations, numbering over 120, along with a huge crowd of members and supporters, stressed that the actions of the Federal Government in the ongoing face-off between the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and former Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, which took an ugly dimension during the week, suggested that the bone of contention was beyond the EFCC exercising its constitutional responsibility.

According to them, from the facts and documents obtained on the matter, the EFCC never sent a letter of invitation to ex-Gov Bello.

The issue of evading arrest, they said, did not therefore exist.

“Someone who was never invited, who has a valid court order restraining his arrest and harassment, among other reliefs, until the determination of the court case, could not be said to be evading arrest. It is deliberate misinformation to turn the public against the Governor,” they said.

The anti-corruption activists and human rights crusaders, specifically condemned the military action threat by an EFCC lawyer, saying that, issuing “such a threat before a judge and inside a court was a violation of the sanctity of the courtroom.”

The Chairman of the Centre for Anti-Corruption and Open Leadership, CACOL, Debo Adeniran, who led other activists during the protest on Saturday, noted that the ongoing disregard for the rule of law was not only about Yahaya Bello.

“We don’t know who the next victim will be,” he said.

“If the FG continues in its iniquitous way of trampling on the rule of law by undermining our judicial system, we will mobilise a much larger number of Nigerians to join this pro-democracy struggle. It concerns all Nigerians because we don’t know who the next victim may be,” Adeniran said.

He called on the Federal Government to first obey all the court orders preceding their own actions in court and then go ahead to vacate them through due processes of law.

“There is no point in endangering anyone’s life unnecessarily because that’s the situation we believe that Yahaya Bello is in now. If the government doesn’t handle this matter carefully, it may shoot itself on the foot and put all Nigerians in collective injury,” the activists said.

The activists warned that Government should not instigate anarchy, insisting that democracy is governed by the rule of law and not the rule of force.

They pointed out that some of them had been in the trenches for over four decades without comprising their stand on justice.

“Thirty-one years ago when we organized to confront the military for the annulment of the June 12 election by General Ibrahim Babangida’s junta, it was for the cause of justice.

“Nobody paid us a dime to organize the anti-SAP protests of 1989 that nearly shut down the entire country.

“We have organised or participated in many altruistic struggles. In the course of these selfless struggles, many of us were jailed, many were maimed, a lot lost their lives on the battlefield of the fight for justice. But we have remained undettered till date. Ours is thankless sacrifice for humanity. But we are not complaining.

“We have been on the side of the EFCC in many cases without gratification or prompting. But on this case, we insist that the EFCC is disregarding the rule of law and creating room for anarchy. And this must not be allowed to stand,” they stated.

The anti-graft CSOs stated, “Our intervention today is to ensure that each side in the ongoing but avoidable tension between the Federal Government through the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, and the immediate former Governor of Kogi State gets the justice that is deserved – both the agency and the suspect.

“We feel that it was totally unnecessary to threaten military action in a civil case because it may escalate beyond proportions and cause devastating even if unintended consequences as being suggested by the EFCC through their lawyer.

“We are hearing now that some citizens of Kogi State are already saying that the FG would be held responsible if anything untoward happens to their former Governor.”

“If the FG insists on inviting the military to intervene in a civil case involving a citizen, it is better they return power to the military so that we know that we are back to ground zero. It is now very clear to all Nigerians that this Yahaya Bello’s saga is far from being about corruption. Come to think of it, how do you accuse a man of stealing an amount that the combined total of its IGR and Federal allocation for two years is not even up to? Why is the FG fishing for chicken inside a river? It doesn’t live there,” one of Nigeria’s lead activists, Gbenga Soloki, said.

“If anyone doubts our determination to continue fighting for justice on this matter, they should wake up and smell the coffee. We will not relent and neither will we retreat until justice is not only done but seen in this Yahaya Bello’s case. We won’t stop,” a spokesperson for the Coalition of Anti-Corruption Civil Society Organisations Olufemi Lawson, added.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares

Sports

BREAKING: Patrick Vieira Appointed New Senegal Head Coach as Teranga Lions Begin New Era

Published

on

BREAKING: Patrick Vieira Appointed New Senegal Head Coach as Teranga Lions Begin New Era—-The Dakar-born former France international takes his first national-team coaching role after Senegal parted ways with Pape Thiaw following their disappointing 2026 World Cup campaign.

Patrick Vieira has been appointed the new head coach of the Senegal national team, with the former France international taking charge of the Teranga Lions for the first time in his managerial career.

The Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) confirmed Vieira’s appointment on Tuesday, August 18, announcing that the 50-year-old will succeed Pape Thiaw, whose tenure ended following Senegal’s elimination from the 2026 FIFA World Cup. 

The appointment represents a major new chapter in Vieira’s coaching career and his first opportunity to manage a senior national team.

Vieira Returns to His Birth Country

Although Vieira represented France throughout his international career, including winning the 1998 FIFA World Cup and Euro 2000, he was born in Dakar, Senegal.

The former midfielder moved to France at the age of eight before developing into one of the country’s most celebrated footballers. He eventually earned 107 caps for Les Bleus and became an important figure in France’s golden generation.

His connection to Senegal makes the appointment particularly significant as he now returns to lead the country’s senior national team.

Replacing Pape Thiaw

Vieira takes over after Thiaw was removed from his position following Senegal’s disappointing World Cup campaign.

The Teranga Lions were eliminated in the round of 32 after surrendering a 2–0 lead against Belgium before eventually losing 3–2 in extra time. The result brought an early end to Senegal’s World Cup ambitions and contributed to the decision to make a change in the dugout.

The FSF subsequently turned to Vieira as it looks to begin a new era.

First National-Team Job for Vieira

Vieira arrives with considerable experience in club management but has never previously managed a senior international side.

He began his coaching career with Manchester City’s youth setup before taking charge of New York City FC in MLS. He later managed French side Nice, Premier League club Crystal Palace, Strasbourg and Italian club Genoa.

His appointment therefore presents a new challenge for the former Arsenal captain, who must now translate his club-management experience to the international stage.

AFCON 2027 Qualification Awaits

Vieira’s first major task will be preparing Senegal for the next international window and the country’s qualification campaign for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations.

Senegal are the reigning African champions and will be expected to remain among the continent’s leading teams under their new manager. The AFCON qualifiers are scheduled to begin as early as September.

The appointment also gives Vieira an opportunity to build a team capable of competing for another continental title while establishing a long-term project with the national side.

A New Chapter for Senegal

For Senegal, Vieira’s appointment represents both a change in leadership and an attempt to reset after a disappointing World Cup.

For Vieira, it is a chance to manage the country of his birth and take charge of a talented generation of Senegalese players.

The FSF said further details concerning Vieira’s official presentation and the next steps in his installation will be announced later.

The man who lifted the World Cup with France in 1998 will now attempt to lead Senegal to continental and international success — beginning with the Teranga Lions’ new era under Patrick Vieira.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Trending News

SHOCKING !! Oluyin Of Iyin-Ekiti In DSS Net Over Alleged Suspicious Demand for Governor’s Used Chair

Published

on

SHOCKING !! Oluyin Of Iyin-Ekiti In DSS Net Over Alleged Suspicious Demand for Governor’s Used Chair

 

The Department of State Services (DSS) has invited the Oluyin of Iyin-Ekiti, Oba Adeniyi Adeola Ajakaiye, for questioning after he made a quiet but suspicious demand for the chair used by Ekiti State Governor, Biodun Oyebanji during a thanksgiving service at Babamuboni Memorial Anglican Church, Iyin-Ekiti.

According to leaked correspondences exchanged between Babamuboni Anglican Church and Oluyin’s Palace, Governor Oyebanji had attended an event on May 31, 2026 at the invitation of Senate Leader, Michael Opeyemi Bamidele, an indigene of Iyin-Ekiti few days to the state’s gubernatorial election.

How Oluyin of Iyin-Ekiti Strangely Demanded Governor’s Seat

It was gathered that after the church program, the Oluyin of Iyin Ekiti, Oba Ajakaiye quietly and specifically requested for the chair which the Governor sat on during the church program.

The church’s Vicar who suspected a mischief by the Oluyin’s palace politely declined the estranged and bizzare request.

According to the church, the decline made Oba Oluyin furious who immediately influenced the untimely transfer of the church’s vicar, Ven. Dr. Samuel Sunday Agunbiade from the church.

The Palace, in a letter addressed to the church , insisted that the governor’s seat be surrendered for “royal custody and appropriate traditional rites.”

In the said letter from the Oluyin-in-Council to the church, they strangely said that “the replacement chair to be commissioned henceforth shall be placed under strict and adequate guard at all times, to avert any future desecration or recurrence of such grave oversight against the sanctity of the stool.”

Meanwhile, the request which has been described as barbaric and bizarre in Nigeria’s political and religious history, immediately raised suspicion and outrage within the community.

The Position of the Anglican Church

The Anglican Church, in its formal reply, rejected the demand, stressing that church property is held in trust under ecclesiastical governance. It further explained that the chair no longer existed, having already been dismantled and incorporated into the altar furnishing.

According to the church, “Consequently, the Church is not at liberty to surrender, transfer, or remove dedicated Church property for external purposes outside the procedures prescribed by ecclesiastical authority.

“As custodians of these properties, we are duty-bound to preserve and administer them in accordance with the doctrine, discipline, and governance of the Church.”

REQUEST FOR THE REMOVAL OF THE CHURCH CHAIR TO THE PALACE nnnnn_040357

Despite the stance of the church to strictly adhere to its ecclesiastical responsibilities and constitutional obligations, the palace persisted.

Outrage in Iyin-Ekiti as Residents React

Residents of Iyin-Ekiti alleged that the monarch’s insistence was not cultural but sinister with claims that the chair might be for ritual manipulation against the governor whom at the time was preparing for his re-election.

They noted that the DSS invitation to the Oluyin underscores how seriously the security agency views the matter stressing that there are sinister motive behind the estranged act.

It was equally gathered that the fallout extended to the church leadership. Ven. Dr. Agunbiade, the vicar who stood firm against the palace’s demand, was transferred under circumstances widely perceived as punitive.

Residents noted that while governors, presidents, and dignitaries have attended church services across Nigeria and Ekiti State in particular for decades, never has a demand been made for their chairs to undergo “traditional rites.”

They described the incident as mischievous while calling for a thorough investigation by the DSS to unravel the mystery and sinister motives behind the bizzare request of the monarch.

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares
Continue Reading

Trending

Facebook 0 Twitter/X 0 LinkedIn0 WhatsApp0 0Shares